changing spark plugs

rcoupet

i have a 2003 DSG Mach 1, and i plan on replacing the spark plugs. Its a diff setup than my previous 98 GT, and i assume i have to remove the air intake. Do you just replace the old plugs and thats it? Is that all you replace being as theres no wires visible. What is the proper process in performing this simple act of maintenance? All assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you gentleman.

memach1

Established Member
Take off the intake and the spark plug covers. It has coil on plugs so it does not have spark plug wires. Get your spark plug torque right, blowing out a plug after replacing it is a bad day.

EVO-lution

Established Member
yea u don;t wanna start your car and destroy a plug in the process...makes anybody's day bad. I think you need a spark remover tool too since they're pretty deep.

TuFFstang

Established Member
I don't use a torque wrench just arm strength tight. Been doing like that for years. I disconnect the coil overs. Don't forget the anti-seize, dielectric grease and a good time to dust off the filter.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I don't use a torque wrench just arm strength tight. Been doing like that for years. I disconnect the coil overs. Don't forget the anti-seize, dielectric grease and a good time to dust off the filter.

+1. Usually, the spark plug box has the recommended hand-torque (i.e. ...not smoked!)

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
dont over tighten them and use antiseize or you may never get them back out. its rather easy to do.

Users who are viewing this thread