Changing the springs - install??

Young_Stallion

SNSTRSNK
Established Member
What is the fastest way to do the rear springs on these cars?

How long will it take?>

Any tips, tricks, etc

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Don't bother with a spring compressor, just drop the IRS and you should be fine...

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I went the spring compressor route, HORRIBLE experience, I have been told dropping the IRS, the springs will fall out, and of course the fronts simply drop the control arm. I would highly suggest NOT going the s/c route.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Remove sway bar end link from LCA
Remove brake cable bracket
Install jack under LCA
Remove lower shock bolt
NOTE: The spring is under pressure and will take your head off so make sure you have a jack under the LCA before you go to the next step !!
Remove bolt the LCA bolt next to the rotor
Lower the LCA to remove most of the spring pressure
Remove the front LCA bolt and (this will give you more room to remove the spring)swing down LCA to remove spring

You will need to have your car on a lift or jacked up very high so you can swing the LCA down and get a jack in there...Also it can be a pain to line up the front LCA bolt you will need some pry bars to line it up..

It take about 1 hour for both side on a lift

:beer:

Last edited:

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
It is not that hard with the spring compresror but you will need to cut at least 4 inches of bolt lenght on it to make it work right and use a lot of grease on the compressor bolt to make it easier to compress... The procedure I used was as follows:

Lift vehicle and secure the car with jackstands under the frame rails
Remove the wheels
Locate a jack under one LCA at a time
By raising the jack, compress the LCA and spring untill the car starts to lift off the jackstand
Crank up the spring compressor untill you feel the spring come of the spring perch some
Remove the lower bolt for the shock and let the shock absorber hang
Now carefully lower the jack untill the spring falls off

That is it !!!

Now reverse the procedure to complete the install... That is the procedure I used and it only took me 1 hour for both of them...

Steel City

Banned
using the spring compressor is working like an A hole. just lower the irs out enough to take the springs out and pop the new ones in. thats all you need to do.

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by Steel City
using the spring compressor is working like an A hole.

What do you mean by that ?

The compressor does work and to me that was a way better alternative to lowering the IRS...

Different strokes for different folks I guess !!!:beer:

konakimo

Established Member
I`ve changed mine three times now, first time I purchased the S/C and ended up cutting the bolts on them, like someone said `A` hole effect (I dont have a lift) said S on it, took it in to the local performance shop 1st $200. 2nd $170. 3rd $150, a friend just did his 02-ss PITA, he said never again, not worth the time or $$. good luck :) .

jpicc

Established Member
I used the spring compessor route on the rears. zIt took me about an hour to hour and 15 minutes to both rear springs. Just my input. I don't know if a lift would be easier or not, I have one at my house but never thought it would be easier that way.

Users who are viewing this thread