Charging Problem....Again!!!

srt4tocobra

Established Member
Okay well I thought my issue was fixed when I installed my new alternator and new battery, but they are not. I was running my car last night pretty hard, and my battery light and ABS light came on. I checked the voltage with my livewire and found that at WOT the voltage that the SCT was reading was above 15.94 volts. When I let off the throttle the voltage will eventually drop back down to the 13.3-.9 range. After awhile of regular driving the voltage will increase until the ABS and battery lights come back on. When I go wide open from there I can feel a difference in how hard it pulls. It seems like it is running pretty weak. Well I parked the car and was hoping when I went to leave in the morning that everything would be okay (I know it was a little unrealisitic but what the hell) but the car was completely dead. I had to jump it with my winter beater. Once I got it started it ran fine for awhile. After it warmed up on my way to work I stomped on it in 2nd gear and again both lights came on, also when this happened my rear amps shut off. I was still able to listen to the radio but there was no bass. Well I shut my radio off and turned it back on and everything was okay. Well once I got home last night I unhooked my battery cables, because I figured that if the battery isn't hooked up it can't die. Well that worked and everything seemed to be working fine on my way to work, but again I stomped on it in 2nd gear and it happened again. I talked with another guy here and he was thinking that maybe something around my exhaust was shorting out like an o2 sensor or something like that. I unhooked my battery before coming into work I noticed the top of my battery was a little wet. Looked like it was coming out of the battery vents. I am at a loss at what the heck it could be. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I included everything. Thanks ahead of time.

lgonz051

Established Member
i think your grounding a wire, or your going to need to check out your wiring harness, i had a similar problem, ended up needing a new alternator, battery, and wire harness. because the wire harness shorted the battery and blew a couple cells in it which overstrained the alternator or something. dont really remember, but overall not good on the wallet.

srt4tocobra

Established Member
i think your grounding a wire, or your going to need to check out your wiring harness, i had a similar problem, ended up needing a new alternator, battery, and wire harness. because the wire harness shorted the battery and blew a couple cells in it which overstrained the alternator or something. dont really remember, but overall not good on the wallet.

thanks for the quick reply. How much was the harness?

lgonz051

Established Member
dont remember if he actually gave me and entire new one or just fixed what i had, but im pretty sure it was in the 200-300 range. i think i might have been able to do it cheaper but i do everything through Ford

srt4tocobra

Established Member
Alright I am going to look at it tonight and do some tests with the multimeter..... we will see I just wasn't for sure if anyone had the same problems and new somewhere to start looking.

srt4tocobra

Established Member
Okay got the alternator and battery load tested and both of them passed with flying colors, go figure I did not have the problem until after I left Autozone on my way to work I stomped it and of course the voltage spiked and the battery light came on. This time I also noticed that all of the needles on my guage cluster went to zero and came back and then went to zero and then came back and stayed where they should be. Anyone had something like this happen before?

Users who are viewing this thread