Cheap Car Audio

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
Hey guys, I've been off the forums for a while but I recently bought an 03 Protege ES with 55k miles for 5,500 in pretty good shape. I'm looking to (reusing the factory speakers), replace the cd player, add a 10" sub and box, and a simple amp to just power the single sub. I'm shooting for components pretty much just to get the job done, I don't need show quality or even looks really, and I plan on installing it myself. I should be able to get a receiver for about 100 because all I want out of it is decent sound and aux/ipod input. My main question is what amp and sub should I be looking at? I listen mostly to metal music, and it's not to blow the doors off, just add some bass to my factory system. Any info will be appreciated! I'm trying to spend around 400 or less bucks on everything.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
i just picked up a rockford fosgate amp from best buy that was onsale for $399.99 that was originally $605.00

nothing crazy just a 1,000 watt amp to power my new pioneer door speakers. best buy installed them all for free with the purchase of them there. just had to pay like $40 bucks for the wiring

i already have an aftermarket head unit but i'm gonna switch it over to my GT and pick up a flip out monitor for the truck

Last edited:

bscarberry

Established Member
i just picked up a rockford fosgate amp from best buy that was onsale for $399.99 that was originally $605.00

nothing crazy just a 1,000 watt amp to power my new pioneer door speakers. best buy installed them all for free with the purchase of them there. just had to pay like $40 bucks for the wiring

i already have an aftermarket head unit but i'm gonna switch it over to my GT and pick up a flip out monitor for the truck

1,000 watts for door speakers is complete and utter overkill. Plus the only 4-channel 1,000 watt amplifier fosgate sells lists for $1,199.

Rockford Fosgate® - T1000-4

1 10" Kicker L7 Solo Baric sub with a decent D-class amp will work fine. They don't require much space and sound good in a sealed box which is what you want if you listen to a lot of rock music.

KICKER Solo-Baric L7 S10L7 Car subwoofer driver - 600 Watt

Kicker 08ZX500.1 (08zx5001) - Monoblock Car Amplifier, Power Amp - Sonic Electronix

Users who are viewing this thread