Cheap Fuel system to support 550-600hp

Prostyle

Established Member
cheapest route would be a 044 and the pickup tube correct? since i already have a wally 255 intank would a pickup tube and that be good for 600 hp? or would i need to upgrade to a 044 intank or a a1000 intank

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
ON m y last setup, I did a 255 intank, and an aeromorive 255 inline with 60's and I was told at 538 rwhp that I had room to grow with it.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
yup all those links and stuff should work just fine.. BTW I had the bosch 255 inline and that sucker was loud.. so just to let you know that inline pump is loud. :)

How loud was it? Was it so loud that it was annoying?

Also im not sure but does using the pickup tube get rid of the intank pump? Whats the advantage of a pickup tube?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It would get loud only sometimes for some reason.. Sometimes it would be quite and sometimes loud.. I didn't understand why it did that.. But yes it would get annoying.. my A1000 is quieter, but it is also mounted on the rear bumper not on the same side of the tank as the inline pump was.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Your stock rails should be fine, but why not upgrade?? I mean Aeromotive and a few other companys make them for pretty cheap yea know.. But you should be fine with the stock ones.

Stock rails have been known to support 700rwhp. May just be me, but I personally wouldn't spend the money. Rails, fittings, regulator... You're looking at spending like $500 unecessarily.

Prostyle

Established Member
so hows this pickup tube and everything work. Would i run a pickup tube and then just a inline pump? or pickup tube with a intank pump? or would a wally 255 intank with a 044inline work? haha im not postive how everything works.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
A pickup tube will allow you to delete the intank pump so then you can run external pump(s). If you do a pick up tube you can run dual walbros parallel with each other instead of inline.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
It would get loud only sometimes for some reason.. Sometimes it would be quite and sometimes loud.. I didn't understand why it did that.. But yes it would get annoying.. my A1000 is quieter, but it is also mounted on the rear bumper not on the same side of the tank as the inline pump was.

Why the switch to the a1000? Have any pics of where its mounted?

Prostyle

Established Member
Alright cool. I was just thinking of running a 044 inline since I got a wally255 intank already.if I went with the pickup tube and 044 would I do inline or a external?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Why the switch to the a1000? Have any pics of where its mounted?

I switched because it's a good reliable pump.. I don't have any pictures because I don't have my car here.. I'll get pics next month when I go home though :beer:

96S/Cobra

Established Member
A pickup tube will allow you to delete the intank pump so then you can run external pump(s). If you do a pick up tube you can run dual walbros parallel with each other instead of inline.

This is basically what I have on my car. I run an MMR pickup with a -10 feed line and a -6 return line.

Here are a few pics of what I did to my car.

I run a 100 micron pre filter, dual Walbro 255 pumps, then a 10 micron post filter. Here's a quick pic of everything before I installed it.

P7300049.jpg

I needed a place to mount everything, so I took a piece of cardboard and kept tracing it/cutting it down until it eventually fit perfectly between the rear bumper and fuel tank. I then traced the cardboard template onto a piece of sheet aluminum, cut it out, painted it, and this is what I ended up with.

fuel1.jpg

This is what the aluminum mounting bracket looks like once installed under the car.

fuel2.jpg

And this is what everything looks like once the pumps and filters were installed. It may not be show quality, but it's practical and works perfectly for my application.

P8150086.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I didn't have the 044's I had a 255. No there was zero issues with my old setup I was just running out of fuel at the very top and I knew I needed to upgrade it for me to feel 100%. Plus I knew I wanted to up the boost from 15, so I knew a bigger fuel system was in order.. to me being on the very edge of fuel is never a good thing and its not worth the 6k motor I had just bought.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
^^^ and there ya have it.. good looking setup :beer:

That setup also probably about $1000, and thats if you piece it together yourself. I'm not knocking it, because I'm putting an identical setup on my car, but it's not really "cheap" like the OP is looking for.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
that's true, but if you were to use the stock lines it wouldn't be as much, there is no way around needing some of the fittings, and filters and pumps and pick up tube though. Unless you buy the stuff used you're probably looking at around 4-500 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread