Cheap/Quick beater car suggestions???

Burn'nRubber

Established Member
During the summer I plan to purchase a decent Fox as a project car, but I refuse to drive the car to and from school due to high gas prices! So I am looking for a decent daily driver that gets good mileage, somewhat quick, and under $5,000. I was thinking about maybe a non-rice civic hatchback or maybe a turbo Talon! Do you have any ideas??

stangman4610

Established Member
I get 30 mpg city, 36-40 mpg highway average in my hyundai accent, and no problems to date, and it's got 140K on it...
not the best looking car and not the most comfortable car (for me - but I'm bigger than most guys), you won't be turning heads in it, BUT for day to day, who cares, turn the heads on the weekends ; )

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Every time someone asks about a DD, I always say Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. I'd buy one of those as a DD in an instant.

50 Proof

Established Member
2.3L Fox Body. You can find them for less than 1500 dollars and the engines are damn near bullet proof. Slow yea, but you get over it after awhile.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
sikklightning04 said:
toyota truck, hardbody. 88-91

Those things are pretty much indestructible, as proven by Top Gear, lol.

They're fun too, if you happen to get a 4X4 one. Friend of mine bought an old one without a motor for 300 bucks, put in a 500-dollar motor, and 1,000-dollars worth of off-road suspension system + tires, and he had himself a reliable rock-crawler, dune-jumper.

Dusten

Established Member
honda civic, i just sold mine for 4K, it got 35-40mpg consitently and ran awesome.

JasonSnake

Established Member
I acquired a 95 tbird for $1600 but you could find a nice one for around 2500 - 3000. They come with sunroof too. Great DD in my opinion, and I'm trying to stop the thoughts of modifying it

Double D Stunna

Established Member
Here are some step by strep instructions in purchasing a beater.

1) Open newspaper

2) Purchase $400 car

3) enjoy!

4) Hope beater doesn't cost you $3,000 in repairs

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
dlt85 said:
early 90's mr-2 turbo...fast as f*ck, cheap, and good mpg if you don't tap into the boost.
+1
If you can find one this is my vote too....

I remember test driving one when they first came out. Loads of fun and a cool looking little car.

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Get an early 90's jeep wrangler. They run forever, have very few moving parts, and it's fun to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread