Cheapest/Easiest installation of Iron Sights for new DPMS Oracle 5.56

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
Hello firearm enthusiasts of SVTP.

I purchased a DPMS Oracle 5.56 on Black Friday for $429.99 here in CA. Pretty solid price.

My question (new to AR's/ familiar with AK's *Arsenal brand*) is what is the EASIEST and CHEAPEST Iron Sights I can purchase? The rifle does not come with sights when purchased new.

Will any Iron Sight like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-High-Profile-Iron-Front-and-Rear-Sight-Combo-A2-UTG-Style-MNT-750-/171968322840?hash=item280a1c5d18:g:pxsAAOSwEK9UL6kB work?

Please note that I ask this question because I would like to avoid having to install a front quad picatinny rail. The rear picatinny rail (above rifle lower) and front picatinny rail (on the gas block) are not "on level" / at the same height. (see photo below for reference).

dpms_rifle_oracle_556_right_view.jpg

Will I be able to zero in the iron sights by just installing them on the existing rear rail and front rail (on gas block) without further modification?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you all!

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
The magpul ones are pretty rugged for poly ones. Also, I hear eotechs are having a sale... lol

also beware... the mod bug strikes fierce. So many options for fun gun parts.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
You can't zero sights just by sticking them on. You need to get out to the range and zero from the 36 yard line.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
You can't zero sights just by sticking them on. You need to get out to the range and zero from the 36 yard line.

This is known.. However the question above is what no one seems to know.

Will I be able to zero the rifle iron sights if I install them on the stock rear rail and front gas block mounted rail. (Even though they are at different heights).

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Will I be able to zero the rifle iron sights if I install them on the stock rear rail and front gas block mounted rail. (Even though they are at different heights).

Gotcha. I read it a few times and didn't catch the question you were posing. With the setup you have poctured, your setup should be good. My setup is similar in that my front sight is set lower but the front sight itself is taller to make it even with the rear sight.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
Gotcha. I read it a few times and didn't catch the question you were posing. With the setup you have poctured, your setup should be good. My setup is similar in that my front sight is set lower but the front sight itself is taller to make it even with the rear sight.

Great! It's what I was hoping. Thanks friend!

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
You need a gas block height front sight, and standard rear but do yourself a favor and don't cheap out on sights. Troy is my personal choice but DB or MI would be okay. Not sure if Magpul has one for that application, then again I just prefer a metal sight. If it doesn't bother you, you could run a clamp on fsb though I much prefer taper pinned ones. You have choices, but I wouldn't skimp on sights imho.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Meant to say that I have seen SOME front standards work on a setup like that, but by the time you adjust the post to the upper end of it's travel, you've so severely limited the ability to adjust it for different loads later on or the post is just not secure and may cant or wobble as well. Good luck!

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member

The sights you linked will work. Centering them in the adjustment window and bolting them on will put you on paper at 50m and you can zero from there.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I know youre wanting to stay cheap, but do yourself a favor and just buy a decent set.

You can even pick up a decent red dot cheap now. Vortex has some in the 180-200 range. Strikefire etc.

lem06

Established Member
Make sure you get a proper set that is setup for the gas block height rail

Also get actual metal ones, plastic ones on a gasblock rail can get pretty hot and potentially deform

DarkMach1

Established Member
I bought Troy battle sights. The front one works with the lowered gas block. You won't regret it.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I went and spent 100 bucks on magpul backup sights, then went and bought a Bushnell TRS25 like posted above. If you were going to get one or the other first, I'd recommend a red dot site. Irons are nice to have but you don't NEED them if the gun is just a range toy anyway.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
For those curious.

I ended up going with a UTG front sight made for AR's with a Lower Gas Block Heights w/ picatinny rail.

7-MNT750.jpg

I chose an A2 UTG Rear Sight to fit the rear rail.

ARR-140.jpg

Both from CheaperThanDirt :) ~ $55 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread