Check engine keeps coming on!!??!!

BlkFord281

Established Member
i have taken my cobra in once already about a week after i had it for the check engine being on...i assumed it was the gas cap and the service tech wasnt around when i picked up my car so i just assumed thats what it was, but it has come on at least 3 times since then...i have just disconnected the battery to reset the computer because i really dont have the time to be taking the damn thing in every time that light comes on:cuss: ...it came on a couple times before my exhaust/intake mods and is still coming on after them...would these mods have an affect on the check engine light? maybe the angle the densecharger is at? i really need help with this, any suggestions!!!???:shrug: Thanks alot!:thumbsup:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
You'll have to find out what the codes are that are coming up before anything can be done.

Dana

rust0r

Established Member
that gas cap can be a real pain in the ass, gotta make sure you turn the hell out of it if you havent been doing so...

good luck

blwn88cpe

Established Member
Mine comes on every now and then also. The code that comes up is 0456, which is a very light emissions evap. leak detected. I just erase it with my code scanner. I think it is related to the gas cap. I must have a sensitive one.?:shrug:
I believe you can go to Autozone or someplace similar and they will read the code for you.

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by blwn88cpe
Mine comes on every now and then also. The code that comes up is 0456, which is a very light emissions evap. leak detected. I just erase it with my code scanner. I think it is related to the gas cap. I must have a sensitive one.?:shrug:
I believe you can go to Autozone or someplace similar and they will read the code for you.

I had this DTC code when I first got my car. It is a warrantable item. It is not the gas cap. The dealer should have a tool where the pressurize the evap system and can detect the leak.

FYI.

Peace.

silvercoffin

Established Member
engine light

When I had the bassani X pipe and cat back on my 01 Gt the light came on. The mechanic said that some people got it and some people didnt. Mil eliminators fixed it for me. You might be able to get a chip to fix it too. You will know this is the problem if your code comes up Cat efficiency

blwn88cpe

Established Member
Originally posted by ALA G8R
I had this DTC code when I first got my car. It is a warrantable item. It is not the gas cap. The dealer should have a tool where the pressurize the evap system and can detect the leak.

FYI.

Peace.

Did your check engine light come on all the time? Mine doesn't. Just every now and then. I hate taking it to the dealer!

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
There is another dummy light for the gas cap. I would get the codes read or go through the on-board diagnostics to find out what the code is. You may have an exhaust leak or the DC may not be sealed to the MAF properly...

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by blwn88cpe
Did your check engine light come on all the time? Mine doesn't. Just every now and then. I hate taking it to the dealer!

It seemed to come on when I ran the gas tank down more than half way. If I kept the tank topped off, it didn't seem to occur.

03redfiresnake

Established Member
My check engine light came on after I had the head swap - it turned out to be the PCV hose at the rear of the engine on the driver's side was melted due to the fact that the heat wrap tape that was rapped around it was reinstalled incorrectly.......one thing to eliminate !

Users who are viewing this thread