Check engine light.....

Mc Q 6185

Established Member
.....As the title hinted, my service engine soon light popped on today; Naturally I'm a bit concerned, seeing as the B is my DD and all. I take great care of my car, and it has less than 42000 mi on the od.; I have an O/H H-pipe on it, devoid of eliminators, but I've had the midpipe on it for nearly a year now.

The question is: Could the catless midpipe have tripped a comp. error, even though I've never had any problem w/ it (service engine light, that is) for bout a year now?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I have an O/H H-pipe on it, devoid of eliminators...
If you run without cats and eliminators, eventually you will end up with the following codes...

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

I have a weak converter on one side of my Crown Vic. I keep throwing a P0430 code, but I can clear it and sometimes it won't come back for weeks. Other times, the light goes off by itself.

Pull the codes and find out what they are.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

I get this one here and there. The CEL comes on, stays on for awhile (~100 miles), then goes off. Repeat. Oh well. I've learned to just live with it.

Hooligan02

We're all full of lies
Established Member
I had the same problem with my 02 gt, didn't get totally fixed until the MIL eliminators were put on, that is if it is an exhaust/cat. problem

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Usually its a pollution control problem. Under extremely hard/spirited driving in my 90 GT mine comes on. It has not happened to many times but it was telling me my O2 sensors were bad. I guess with the supercharger and enriched FMU it runs real rich and clogs them up. +1 on getting someone to read the codes and find out what is going on.

Mc Q 6185

Established Member
Much appreciated guys, I planned on heading to the Zone today, but I just wanted a bit of background/reassurence before hand.

Users who are viewing this thread