Check Engine Light

jbarger

Established Member
Need some suggestions from some of you experts. I was driving my 1998 Cobra for a cruise the other night and when i got about a mile from home the Check Engine Light came on. All systems were good no problems. I parked the car and let it cool down for about 3 hours and went out and started it up and the light came back on. The weird thing is that when i turn the key in the ignition to the on position without actually firing up the motor the light comes on. Seems to me there is some kind of sensor failure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Toasty

Established Member
Need some suggestions from some of you experts. I was driving my 1998 Cobra for a cruise the other night and when i got about a mile from home the Check Engine Light came on. All systems were good no problems. I parked the car and let it cool down for about 3 hours and went out and started it up and the light came back on. The weird thing is that when i turn the key in the ignition to the on position without actually firing up the motor the light comes on. Seems to me there is some kind of sensor failure. Any help would be much appreciated.

the CEL always comes on when you turn the ignition to on but dont start the car. Its a test to ensure the light is working.

When you need to do is goto a local parts store like a Napa or Autozone and have them pull the codes from your computer. You could also buy a handheld code reader - they run about $100 these days IIRC. The numeric codes that the ECU spits out can be cross referenced to a problem decription by your parts store guys, a book that comes with the code reader if you buy one, or by google searching.

Users who are viewing this thread