Check this out.

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
Just on youtube and came across this video, kinda made me mad what they did to the old lady. Hope it's not a repost.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4"]YouTube - NRA: The Untold Story of Gun Confiscation After Katrina[/ame]

trottlebody

Established Member
I'm not sure if what they did was right, I know shes an old woman, but in they're defense, she had a gun. I still think its really fkd up though.

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
Unfortunately they were under Martial Law and whoever the Martial is makes the Law the following is from http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_mlaw.html I only posted a small part from the link in regards to the video and I made the text green to make it easier to read.

Constitutional Topic: Martial Law

The Constitutional Topics pages at the USConstitution.net site are presented to delve deeper into topics than can be provided on the Glossary Page or in the FAQ pages. This Topic Page concerns Martial Law. Martial law is not explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, but the suspension of habeas corpus is mentioned in Article 1, Section 9, and the activation of the militia in time of rebellion or invasion is mentioned in Article 1, Section 8. The Topic Page for Military Justice may also be of interest.

The sources for this topic are, primarily, The Living U.S. Constitution by Saul Padover and Jacob Landynski (Meridian, 1995); Constitutional Law: Cases and Commentary by Daniel Hall (Lawyer's Cooperative Publishing, 1997); and ex parte Milligan, 71 US 2.

Note: please note the spelling of "martial law." A common mistake is to spell it as "marshal law" or "marshall law." A "marshal" is a law enforcement officer of, for example, the U.S. Marshal Service. There is such a thing as a marshal, but no such thing as marshal law.

On 8/26/2005, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans was placed under martial law after widespread flooding rendered civil authority ineffective. The state of Louisiana does not have an actual legal construct called "martial law," but instead something quite like it: a state of public health emergency. The state of emergency allowed the governor can suspend laws, order evacuations, and limit the sales of items such as alcohol and firearms. The governor's order limited the state of emergency, to end on 9/25/2005, "unless terminated sooner."

There have been many instances of the use of the military within the borders of the United States, such as during the Whiskey Rebellion and in the South during the civil rights crises, but these acts are not tantamount to a declaration of martial law. The distinction must be made as clear as that between martial law and military justice: deployment of troops does not necessarily mean that the civil courts cannot function, and that is one of the keys, as the Supreme Court noted, to martial law.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread