Check your plugs- NOW.

03DSGSVT

Established Member
Hmm, looks like I'll have to check the plugs on this car too :(

When I had my 2000 Lightning, I had a plug blow out at around 25K or so.
I took it to a local dealer, and they replaced the head no questions asked. On the Lightning, it takes out the coil, the plug, and the head... Basically comes loose, and rips out the rest of the threads in the plug hole.
I did some reading, and this is a common thing with the 99-03 Lightnings. I think in 04 there were reports of Ford using 7-8 thread holes, instead of the 3-4 thread holes for the plugs?!

Also, the SOHC 4.6L GT motors and the 6.0L V-10's were having the same issues. I don't know if the Cobra heads are the same, but I had not heard of the DOHC motors having the same issue?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i have never had this problem and torque all my plugs till they fully seat, and then 1/4 turn. i use a generous amount of anti-seize and never had a loose plug.

i use motorcraft plugs.

are you guys installing the plugs while the motor is absolutely dead nuts cold?

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
coming from a current Lightning owner
DO NOT USE ANTI SEZE!!!
over all its a good idea but not on the plugs
you need your head examined if you are not replacing plugs at least once a year, espeicly in our blown cars and trucks
like i told dave in an other post check your plugs at least every other oil change like most of us Lightning guys and girls do

robbcwz

Established Member
lightninmike:

Interested in what are you "seeing" (or experiencing) with your plugs that supports the need for the annual change, or is just a case of good, prudent preventive maintenance?

Based on this thread I'm certainly planning on a check at the next opportunity (10,000 mls) but I would be disapointed if I found a loose plug. Really hadn't planned on pulling the plugs until the mid 30's, which I felt was being ultra conservative up to this point.

Really interested in what you've experienced.

Thanks,

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Just a thought; it's not the anti-seize; it's the lack of adequate threads.

blowndave

Established Member
i used to be a technician for ford motor company... there is a TSB on this and you are instructed to replace the WHOLE CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY due to this (something with the design was changed to rectify this) if you use a heli-coil you will again have the same problem down the road... you can check with your local dealer to see if they will "goodwill" you a new set of heads under warranty!!!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
No, it's recommended that the engine be cold to help avaoid crossthreading when you put in the new plugs. It's also a good idea to hand tighten rather than just cranking on the wrench, again to avoid crossthreading.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
As much boost as I run I change my plugs every 5k. It is cheap and easy to replace. I also can test for dentination that way.

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeBit
No, it's recommended that the engine be cold to help avaoid crossthreading when you put in the new plugs. It's also a good idea to hand tighten rather than just cranking on the wrench, again to avoid crossthreading.

Thanks, I misunderstood your point.

I always fit mine cold and hand tighen until they are firm, then torque.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
just curious...... anyone know how much a bare head casting from ford would be? like a set of 03\04 heads?

I have my current heads ported, and with all the sh*t done to my car, alreadly having the d\s head replaced once, and my warrantee voided.....

If I got this plug blow out problem, and it was fords fault due to a problem in the head.... I'd be beat .....

No way in hell any dealer near me would hand over another head.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave
Why?
Is this a bad idea?

Yes, always retorque any spark plugs when blazing hot. Use gloves but let me assure you it's quite easy for the plugs to back out or get loose if they aren't torqued at operating temps.

I know, I live in the desert. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread