Checking out a fox...questions

redline360

Established Member
I think this is the right forum, if not i apologize its 4 am.

Later today i am going to be checking out a 89 Gt. Its black with 68k miles 5spd. Found a really really good deal on this car so im pretty interested in it. What should i look for if anything when i go check it out besides the normal car stuff? Ive owned all fbodys so far so any input would help.

I really would like to buy this car but i just spend a shitload of money on school and a spring break vacation, but hopefully if they give me a hell of a deal i cant resist

SonicSVTF

Established Member
These cars don't have any problems at all. The tranny will be bad only if it was abused. I've had many of these cars and they will run like new until 200k miles before they start to wear out. I've seen more than one 200k t-5 transmission that shifts like new. These were the original U.S. made Borg Warner transmissions. Not the Mexican made shit they put in the newer stuff.
The only problem areas are simple things. The front brake rotors tend to warp if abused. The clutch will have many more miles in it if it wasn't abused. A new fuel pump will be in order shortly. Maybe an alternator too. But these are the only things you will have to worry about as long as the car wasn't abused. These cars are rock solid reliable with the exception of the fuel pump and alternators and it seems that the originals always go bad between 100k and about 130k. I guarantee the fuel pump WILL go out by 150k. But thats it.
Look around the perimeter of the engine bay and trunk for accident damage repair.
Buy with confidence. The 1987-93 cars are excellent cars.

Users who are viewing this thread