Chicago Field Museum King Tut - sucked!

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
So after almost 30 years since the last appearance in Chicago, we bought tickets in advance (30.00 each) to see the King Tut exhibit.
So after dealing with the traffic of the Dan Ryan construction, parking (another 15.00), and lines of kids from summer camps, we finally get into line to see King Tut. So after another 45 minutes standing herded in maze lines, we finally get into the exhibit. Now you have to deal with people in wheel chairs (where did they all come from...is this the handicapped day special), and throngs of people gawking at trinkets, and miscellaneous artifacts from Egypt.
Then it happens........I turn the corner and am in the FREAKIN gift shop!!!!!! :mj:

Where the hell is King Tuts sarcopogas??? Guess the idiots scratched it and were not allowed to show it.

Lets see - I went to the King Tut exhibit and did'nt see King Tut. As I recall, the advertising said "King Tut" Exhibit, not King Tut artifact exhibit - WTF!!!

Never again.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
It simply amazes me all the time and effort (and advertising) museums put into some of these exhibits. What it all boils down to is hype! :fm: (I remember seeing the hope diamond years ago thinking :??: "thats it? I waited 2.5 hours for that!?!" :??: )

Hype for a bunch of artifacts that would fit in a shoebox....

To charge admission in any museum is a shame. :nonono: You are there for educational/entertainment. Besides, the museum makes a killing at the gift shop (where you ended up. did you at least buy a minature mummy paperwieght for $150, or the "official" King Tut Pizza Hut stickers?)

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
Theres no replacement for a trip to the Egyptian Museume :) haha jk but that does suck. I dont remember seeing the sarcaughagous when i was at the egyptian museume. I saw the mask tho and that made it worth it. Waiting in lines suck, thats why i dont do amusement parks.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I went to that museum last summer and I have to say I wasn't impressed. The stuff in there was interesting but it wasn't all that great. So we left to spend our time at the more entertaining museums of Chicago.

FBMphil

Established Member
I thought the Field museum sucked ass, and I really dig museums too. The art museum and aquarium kicked ass though.

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
We don't go often - but we figured 30 years, this may be a once in a lifetime chance...
Plus my 12 year old.......should call and ask for my money back!!

Black Justin

Established Member
I went to the one they had in LA, pretty much the same experience. I was disapointed with the lack of his mask, but then I read something about it being illegal to bring the mask out of his Egypt. According to other things i've read, that was also the last time that exhibit will be in the United States.

Users who are viewing this thread