Chirping coming from engine bay.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
I don't drive the car much. Like twice a month. Anyway more recently then not it makes a chirping noise. It sounds like it's coming from the idler pulley but I'm not sure. Is that what they do when the bearings go bad?

cj428mach

Established Member
You might try replacing your belt. My car began chirping really bad on start up and I thought it had to be an idler pulley bearing going out although I thought that would be hard with the car having billetflow pulleys and only 8500 miles on it. I tried swapping the belt with a new gatorback and all my noise went away.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
oh god i just had this problem. i had a super tight belt and put a bigger one and rpelaced a few 100mm idlers....chirp chirp chirp....and it wasn't chirping before.

weather has changed recenlty so its been cold and is alot noisier now but it ran for about 10 mins and went away, pretty common in these damn cars.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Gates + colder weather = chirp

I'm running gatorback now and it is remarkably quieter (like whisper).....however, it started fraying on me. Didn't have it on maybe a year...1500 miles. But that's small cheese to me...I refuse to go back to gates. Ordered 2 more gator backs off amazon for $21 each! 4080750 75"

This is a bunch of boost car, tho. 22psi

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
I thought it was my belt too. Took off all my idlers (Doesn't take long at all) and come to find out one was bad. Also a month ago when I had my car dynoed my tuner said the aftermarket idlers like to ware (soft metal) and those fragments get into the belt which will cause it to chirp. He said you could change the belt but after a few miles it will start again. He suggested cleaning the idlers. So I took them all off took each bearing out and washed them and put all new bearings back in. Also cleaned the outer belt surface. No squeak here anymore. I have a gates green hd belt and it has been cold here

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Yeah I need to get length of mine and try a gator back as well. Forgot today, guess I'll do it tomorrow lol. Year the weather does it man...chirp chirp lol

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Dumb question but how many ribs do our pulleys have? I was on the gatorback site but there's a lot lol I need a 77" belt. I have an 80765 Gates but want to get a gator.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
that's the site i was on yest. looking. ugh prolly the 77.2 then, might be a little loose. the one i have now is perfect, not too much slack, but not too tight either. (that's what he said lol)

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
I've got the chirp and I'm gonna try what JuStAkId did, sounds reasonable. Green gates and Metco idlers here.

easy way to clean them is to put them in the dishwasher. Turn it on hot wash with No soap. Worked great for me

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I thought it was my belt too. Took off all my idlers (Doesn't take long at all) and come to find out one was bad. Also a month ago when I had my car dynoed my tuner said the aftermarket idlers like to ware (soft metal) and those fragments get into the belt which will cause it to chirp. He said you could change the belt but after a few miles it will start again. He suggested cleaning the idlers. So I took them all off took each bearing out and washed them and put all new bearings back in. Also cleaned the outer belt surface. No squeak here anymore. I have a gates green hd belt and it has been cold here

That's an interesting concept....but I don't believe it's applicable in my case. You could eat off my pulleys and idlers. Lol. And I know I have metco dual bearing pulleys and I can't see any wear on those.

What brand idlers pulleys are you using?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i cleaned mine with brake cleaner the other day, they had a lot of shit on em. all purrrdy #datredfiredoe lol

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Oh man I got this also! Check all idlers,changed SC belt still there! Removed SC belt started car still......there!so it's an iner belt issue any advice on changing it! is original!

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
That's an interesting concept....but I don't believe it's applicable in my case. You could eat off my pulleys and idlers. Lol. And I know I have metco dual bearing pulleys and I can't see any wear on those.

What brand idlers pulleys are you using?

I am running 2 steedas and 2 billetflows. It was one of the steeda Idlers that had the bad bearing.

Oh man I got this also! Check all idlers,changed SC belt still there! Removed SC belt started car still......there!so it's an iner belt issue any advice on changing it! is original!

It sucks unless you have a aftermarket lower kit on the car. Even then its a pita to fish the belt through there. If I had to do it again I would take the front pulley cage off.

Edit: also while you are in there I would change each idler bearing

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
no it's not just pull tensioner down and feed it, did you start on bottom and work your way up? also the aux idler was last i think when i did mine to put back on. cobrabob has a pic of which one should go first lol, made life a lot easier.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
*sigh* Add me to the list. Haven't messed with it yet - but I'm thinking bad idler. It started out only doing it on startup - gone in about 30 seconds, then it would take about 5-10 minutes, now it's constant so time to figure it out. Gates belt, might try a gatorback but I remember some people saying they shed\dust and don't last a long time. Hate the green gates HD due to the color.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i listened to mine today. sounds like it's coming from the top , like the 2.76 pulley. neighbor said the same thing when we listened. ugh.....i have a 2.76 billetflow redfire pulley, i guess i can rent a pulley puller and go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread