Chirping sound is driving me nuts!

betiwin

Established Member
I don’t know what happen but all of a sudden my cobra has developed a chirping noise from the front passenger wheel. It is constant, chips the faster you go the faster the chirp gets. The only way I can stop the noise is by putting any type of pressure on the brakes, and it instantly goes away. Let of the brakes and it comes back. The car only has 5000 miles on it, any ideas?

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Assuming your brake pads aren't worn out (easy to see), that's just glazing on a pad or rotor. You can rub the rotors with a scotch brite pad (go in circles) with the wheel off. If it's the pads, you obviously have to remove them and do a little light sanding. To be honest, I think the best solution is to ignore it, assuming the pads are not worn out. It will probably go away anyway.

JMD0346

Established Member
sounds like the wear tab on the pad. I f thats what it is you can bend it oput with a screw driver untill you get new pads. It should be in the middle of the pad at the top if I remember right.

Last edited:

DSG2003

Established Member
I have the same problem, but mine happend after I installed my new rims. If you figure it out or I do I will let you know.

betiwin

Established Member
DSG2003, thats not good. I just put 18's on and thats when i heard the noise. I have the same wheels as you, but in chrome. :eek:

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
I have the same problem since i cut my rotors and put in new pads. It's nothing to worry about just annoying.

machman

04 SVT COBRA
Established Member
theres an c clip on the studs from the factory. they are there to hold the rotors on when going down the Assembly Line .there are at least 2 on each wheel if you havent pulled them off pull them off and that should fix your problem. mine did the same thing the factory wheel has a space for those clips if you havent pulled them off i Guarantee that will stop chirping noise

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
machman said:
theres an c clip on the studs from the factory. they are there to hold the rotors on when going down the Assembly Line .there are at least 2 on each wheel if you havent pulled them off pull them off and that should fix your problem. mine did the same thing the factory wheel has a space for those clips if you havent pulled them off i Guarantee that will stop chirping noise
Based on his miles I would lean towards this being the culprit. His pads should not be worn at 5,000 miles unless he rides them. It's gotta be something else. Hopefully Machman is right!

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Could be your anti-rattle clip on the caliper. My brother's Bullitt had that happen to him. He bought a new set and installed it. Fixed it right up. Cost about 5 bucks to fix. The dealership (losers) wanted around $400 bucks so they could replace the caliper!

betiwin

Established Member
Could be your anti-rattle clip on the caliper. My brother's Bullitt had that happen to him. He bought a new set and installed it. Fixed it right up. Cost about 5 bucks to fix. The dealership (losers) wanted around $400 bucks so they could replace the caliper!

I think this may be it. I jacked up the car and spun the wheel by hand and it starts to chirp like the back pad might be touching the rotor. :shrug:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
betiwin said:
I think this may be it. I jacked up the car and spun the wheel by hand and it starts to chirp like the back pad might be touching the rotor. :shrug:

Yeah....I'm almost positive that's what it is. Are there any small silver colored clips missing? There should be 2 per caliper.

Users who are viewing this thread