Choosing the right kit?

bloodhound248

Classic Muscle Car Guru
Established Member
Whats up everyone, before I show you the turbo kits I'm looking at first let me tell you what my goal for my project fox is. I plan on getting a 87-93 gt fox and adding a turbo kit onto it. This will not be a strict race car, I just want it to be a powerful street sleeper. I will be honest, I do not have the knowledge that you guys have when it comes to turbos and superchargers, thats why I came here first.

I want to install the kit by myself, and do not want to have to have anything changed on the car before hand. Basically I want to take a stock 5.0 and add the turbo kit to it. My horsepower range that I'm looking for is 450 hp and up.

I was looking at this kit from proturbokits.com http://66.70.20.245/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2
and I just wanted to get a few things straight. I know it says 350-1000 hp, that does mean roughly 350 hp added at least correct? Also, will any other parts have to be replaced in order to put this kit in?

Than there is this one http://turbochargedpower.com/79-93 Mustang.htm which seems like you get more horsepower than I really want (lol check out the video of the 93 cobra that thing was flyin' :rockon: ) plus its pretty damn expensive

All in all I think I might go for the proturbo kit, its less expensive and should give me the amount of horsepower I need (can somebody tell me if you can just put this kit on the stock 5.0 engine?). Any advice? :beer:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Installing a turbo kit is very involved..

you say that you are limited on knowledge.... if this is a weekend project where you can take your time and understand the kit, then I would say go ahead... but get some help from buddies, and also read up on it.. make sure you understand everything before it goes on..

you might have to do some cutting and welding to make that fit in there...

if you are looking for a DIY power adder project, i would recommend the procharger:beer:

its self-contained... you dont have to run any oil lines or anything.. and it bolts right up!

:beer:

-Homer

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
First and fore most do youre homework on turbocharging. This is a whole new ball game when it comes to HP. also join turbomustangs.com and look around there and talk with some of the members there aswell. PTK makes a good kit and has upgrading them all the time. As for the HP kit that is also a good kit but is still a new companie and have not done alot of proving/R&D as PTK.

As for your engine, and mods needed you wont have to do much else other then bolt on the kit. I would also maybe upgrade the intake and T-body when bolting the kit on as you will need to pull the upper intake off to drop in a new set on Injs....also do a search for BarryD. he has ran as much as low 10s in the 1/4 with a full bone stock block. and something like 10# of boost. REMEMBER when playing with turbo(s) you do not need all high $$$$ BS to go fast, turbos will make POWER no matter WHAT you got done.

I myself have a turbocharged S-281 Saleen and it rocks. :rockon: I also built everything myself minus IC and the turbo

A2V2NV

Established Member
Well, a turbo is ALOT more torqey than a Centrifugal setup, due to the fact they spool up so quick!!!!

Just RESEARCH it, and don't forget to TUNE IT, or you'll hurt the engine!!!

Best of luck, keep us informed!!!

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread