chopped half a coil off

Hye

Established Member
Did this a while ago, I thought I just throw up a pic. We did not have time to do the fronts, hopefully those will be done soon. The rears turned out absolutely perfect, no complaints whatsoever. Car drives like stock. I have not been able to test out the handling because of all the crap in the back seat and my trunk. I'm using the stock isolators and chopped off 1 "C" on each side of the rear stock springs. Thanks to Ashley (largeorangefont) for helping, and Girth of course ;-)

lukem80

Established Member
1/2 coil all the way around. stock wheels and tires. rides like it did when it was a high boy (good). I don't see why people waste money on those H&Rs

Last edited:

Hye

Established Member
yup, nothing wrong with chopping a coil off. I'm very glad i stuck with the stock springs. Aftermarket's are too expensive and they don't sit where you want the car to sit.

nice looking stance, and terminator

lukem80

Established Member
Hye06 said:
yup, nothing wrong with chopping a coil off. I'm very glad i stuck with the stock springs. Aftermarket's are too expensive and they don't sit where you want the car to sit.

nice looking stance, and terminator

I wish I had a whipple :cryying:

MikeW

Established Member
Nice I think I will try that .. Whocares has some coupe springs that he is gonna sell me.

lukem80

Established Member
front took me 20 minutes to lower... rear took me about 1-1/5 hours.. the rear IRS sucks to lower.

I've did four cobras so far. 2- half coils, 1- 3/4, and 1- full coil with MM ISO's

I think the 3/4 all the way around looks the best to me.

I can do this without a spring compressor now!!!!

SVT8U

Established Member
lukem80 said:
front took me 20 minutes to lower... rear took me about 1-1/5 hours.. the rear IRS sucks to lower.

I've did four cobras so far. 2- half coils, 1- 3/4, and 1- full coil with MM ISO's

I think the 3/4 all the way around looks the best to me.

I can do this without a spring compressor now!!!!

how do you do it w/o a spring compressor?

lukem80

Established Member
SVT8U said:
how do you do it w/o a spring compressor?

using a big crow bar!!!!!

I take out the lower shock bolt, the rear sway bar bolt, and the lower IRS spindle bolt. have someone pull down on the lower control arm... get a crow bar and get that spring outta there. since you are cutting stock springs.. it makes it easier to install since they are shorter... you really can't do H&R's this way.

first time I did it on my personal car I used a spring compressor.. which I feel is really dangerous.. those things are scary.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
We need to do the front!!

I found some of mine with what I think is 1 coil off all around (not 100% sure as I bought them used). The front was too low and scraped on everything, so I put coilovers on the next week.

100_01262.jpg

100_01232.jpg

100_01272.jpg

Last edited:

Hye

Established Member
:eek: holy cow Ash that thing was dumped..lol...coilovers took care of that one.

What day you leaving? these springs are yelling at me to be chopped..lol

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
We need to do the front!!

I found some of mine with what I think is 1 coil off all around (not 100% sure as I bought them used). The front was too low and scraped on everything, so I put coilovers on the next week.

100_01262.jpg

100_01232.jpg

100_01272.jpg

That's what my vert looks like with H&R's in the front. I've bottomed out a few times on the crappy roads here in MI. I'm using poly isolators also. It would be even lower with the stockers in there. If I were to do it all over again I would have removed 1/2 a coil and saved 300 bucks. Coilovers would have been money well spent the first time around.

snake bite 03

Here's mine 1 1/2 cut in the front with just the upper iso's, 1 1/4 in the rear with just the bottom iso's....

pic.php
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

pic.php
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

pic.php
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Those are all very sweet looking rides. I have between now and Thursday to decide how to lower mine a bit. Choice of cutting the stock 'vert springs, H&R or Eibauch.

Hye

Established Member
PonyFever said:
Those are all very sweet looking rides. I have between now and Thursday to decide how to lower mine a bit. Choice of cutting the stock 'vert springs, H&R or Eibauch.

save your cash, and chop a "C" in the coil.

Users who are viewing this thread