Chrome Wheels Corroding?

Matt M PA

Established Member
Hi guys.

Removed my wheels today for a tire rotation and good cleaning. I always clean the back side when I wash the car but wanted to be more thorough.

On two of the wheels, the bolt hole areas where the lugs go are corroding under the argent paint. One of these wheels also has some of the same issue on the inside of the rim...the part you see through the spokes. They look like eruptions or rust under the chrome.

My concern is that it will only get worse and I am hoping that this is covered under the 3-36. I am thinking that Ford will not warranty this since the problem is not occuring on the face of the wheels.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
On the Chrome OE wheels, the inside is painted silver.

My chrome wheels kinda have a little "grain" or something to them between the spokes. Like the chrome is crappy. It feels rough too. Looks alright, but I'm not sure if they're going to hold or not.

Maybe we're talking about the same thing. This stuff almost looks like fisheye in paint. Except much less pronounced.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Mine are the factory wheels, but I removed the silver paint from the back sides as it was just about washing off anyway. The chrome on the wheels face is fine..the corrosion in the bolt holes and the back.

geepaw....a fisheye in paint looks like a round depression..sort of like a fish eye. It is where there is a contaminant on the surface and the paint could not adhere properly. Usually from an oil, the paint moves from that area before drying..leaving a depression.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I don't really know about my backsides. I still have the paint on, which, I can tell you is flawed. Beyond that, I don't really know.

Matt M PA

Established Member
An update. The dealer looked at the wheels yesterday and is ordering two new ones.

Chrysler could take a page from Ford's book. When my 2000 GTS was about a year old, I noticed discoloring around the bolts holes and on the "inside" just behind the spokes. They were turning a red color. It took me months of fighting with Chrysler's Rep to get them replaced. Then...two came in damaged in shipping and the Rep basically said take it or leave it...we will do no more for this customer. As much as I love that car...it's my last new Chrysler product.

Users who are viewing this thread