Claim 0 on W-4. Still owe taxes. WTF?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If you think you and your better half's income will be similar next year, just send in a quarterly estimated tax payment. You can print the blank forms off the IRS website.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I have to agree that there shouldn't be tax breaks for having kids. If anything, people with kids should be paying more IMO to pay for their kids education. I have no kids to contribute to said need for education, so why am I paying more in taxes?

When I built my house in 06' I had to pay a $10K "impact fee" while applying for my building permit. The fee was described to me that it would go to the school system because of a new house being built in our county school district, and that the district was growing too fast and overcrowded. I didn't even have any kids...

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
If you guys want to bitch about taxes as they relate to presidential candidates, run this calculator for yourself and see how each candidate would affect you're take home pay. http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/3/25/11293258/tax-plan-calculator-2016

Comrade Sanders would have my already kinda poor ass paying $7600 more in federal income taxes each year...

Didn't know about this calculator.

Combined income with my Wife and I (approx. 125K) with Sanders, we'd pay $13,500 more per year, and with Cruz/Trump we'd pay almost $10,000 less.

Yeah, not voting for Sanders, LOL.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
The whole tax code sucks.
I hate these ****ers more and more every day.

Add up all the taxes you pay,
Fed, state, sales tax, fuel tax, property tax, registration fees, etc....
Mine comes out to 53% of my pay check going to the government in some way shape or form.
Someone tell me that this is fair to my face.

We must make about the same amount then, because that's roughly where I'm at. Although it's partly my fault since I don't own my house (I rent) and I haven't knocked some random up yet. I'm always ready to cry around tax season.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Add me to the list as well. I owe $2100 this year... But I also got divorced last year... And my company borked up my W4. I had changed it from "Married withhold at single rate" to Single 0... but some jackass in HR changed it to single 1... I know this because I kept a copy of the original I sent in... Fixed it in February...FML...

02gt87

Established Member
Not trying to sound like a financial advisor but Are any of you guys contributing to retirement plans 401s 457s? This is an excellent way to lower your taxable income. So if you're owing at the end of year try upping your contribution amount by a larger %. Another method to reduce the chances of owing at the end of the year is getting a traditional IRA and contributing the max 5500 allowed per year or 6500 if you're over 50yrs old

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I agree with this.

Having a kid is a choice. Having a place to live and even having a job to live is not a choice, unless you like living as a homeless person. I feel people that have kids are rewarded and those that do not are penalized even more, despite making "more" money.

My wife and I bust our asses, pay a lot in student loans, mortgage, mortgage insurance and over $16,000 in JUST federal taxes and have to shell out several more thousand. Now, to avoid this, we are reducing our checks and taking a $250 per month loss on income so we don't owe in 2017.

In Chicago, our income is nothing special and hardly considered middle class (125K combined)

Well I think the reason they use more tax breaks for kids is the theory that it encourages more people to have them so they can pay for the ponzi scheme of social security down the road.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with this.

Having a kid is a choice. Having a place to live and even having a job to live is not a choice, unless you like living as a homeless person. I feel people that have kids are rewarded and those that do not are penalized even more, despite making "more" money.

My wife and I bust our asses, pay a lot in student loans, mortgage, mortgage insurance and over $16,000 in JUST federal taxes and have to shell out several more thousand. Now, to avoid this, we are reducing our checks and taking a $250 per month loss on income so we don't owe in 2017.

In Chicago, our income is nothing special and hardly considered middle class (125K combined)

The idea is that people are birthing future tax payers.

If it makes you feel any better, I've paid almost $20,000 in federal taxes this year and will be writing a check to the IRS for another almost $30,000 in two weeks. And I don't get to take the whopping $1,000 tax credit for having a kid, just to add salt to the wound.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Well I think the reason they use more tax breaks for kids is the theory that it encourages more people to have them so they can pay for the ponzi scheme of social security down the road.

I hear ya on that. Could be, but oh well.

The idea is that people are birthing future tax payers.

If it makes you feel any better, I've paid almost $20,000 in federal taxes this year and will be writing a check to the IRS for another almost $30,000 in two weeks. And I don't get to take the whopping $1,000 tax credit for having a kid, just to add salt to the wound.

In total, it was 19,0xx in just federal for us. Adding state and the other 2, probably over 30K easily.

It sucks for the single/married folk that don't have kids.

Old co-worker had 2 kids, wife didn't work and he claimed head of household, walked away with almost as much as he paid in taxes ($10,000) tax refund. Total shit if you ask me.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
It sucks for the single/married folk that don't have kids.

It also sucks for my kid that will be stuck paying social security to support the elderly who never had kids to pay in. The knife cuts both ways.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know if this question has been asked on here or not, but how many of you are married with no kids and both employed? How do you keep from owing more once you do your taxes?

My wife and I both work and both claim zero exemptions on our W-4's. I just did our taxes over the weekend and we ended up owing $1500 to federal! WTF??? I understand why it happens. I'm sure it's because we are individually taxed throughout the year under one tax bracket but then our combined income puts us in a higher bracket come tax season, but how do we adjust things so that they just take out the correct amount throughout the year? I just want to break even.

Should we file separately? Is there something else we can do on our W-4's or are we just going to have to enter a dollar amount on them under "additional deduction amount?"

I don't intend to write the federal govt. another ****ing check next year, so any help is appreciated.

What i tell people is this: if you are making over 65K a year, combined, get a CPA to do your taxes. You will be glad. And you can retroactively re-file taxes up to five years back, I think.

As to your situation, Branhammer, my wife and I are in the same boat, and have been for ten years, at least. Our accountant looked at our situation, recommended we have an additional amount deducted, and that problem is solved.

In my opinion, payroll deduction of taxes should be flat-out against the law. We should have to write a check, every year, for what we owe and pay it. If we did that, there would be huge riots as people saw exactly how much is being taken from them. Payroll deduction prevents that by most people not knowing how much is being taken from them. I say if the Federal Government wants to tax us, they should make it so in-our-faces clear how much they are taking that no one has any doubt. Then the next politician who comes along promising midnight basketball or whatever in the hell else piece of dipshittery with your money will get run out of town.

Bitter? Why, yes, yes I am.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Wait till you hit the 39.6% bracket and lose the ability to itemize deductions and personal dependents.

And then be told by the politicians that you just need to pay more so you can pay your fair share....

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
What i tell people is this: if you are making over 65K a year, combined, get a CPA to do your taxes. You will be glad. And you can retroactively re-file taxes up to five years back, I think.

As to your situation, Branhammer, my wife and I are in the same boat, and have been for ten years, at least. Our accountant looked at our situation, recommended we have an additional amount deducted, and that problem is solved.

In my opinion, payroll deduction of taxes should be flat-out against the law. We should have to write a check, every year, for what we owe and pay it. If we did that, there would be huge riots as people saw exactly how much is being taken from them. Payroll deduction prevents that by most people not knowing how much is being taken from them. I say if the Federal Government wants to tax us, they should make it so in-our-faces clear how much they are taking that no one has any doubt. Then the next politician who comes along promising midnight basketball or whatever in the hell else piece of dipshittery with your money will get run out of town.

Bitter? Why, yes, yes I am.

A ****n men brothah.

TK Doom

Established Member
IMO, the thing that matters is your effective tax rate.

Mine was 12.1, highest ever, was even lower when I was single. Course, I have 2 rentals now and a wife, so there are way more variables.

Next year it will be less as I just spent $30k on improvements.

But effective tax rate is, in my opinion, the thing to compare.

I know some will disagree. ;)

Last edited:

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I totally feel your pain on this. Im single and had to to pay almost $1K last year. Its shitty when you get a dick bag who doesnt pay anything with 7 chillren. I hate being ****ed for working my damndest to just make my way. Im young/white, but that doesnt have anything to do with it....

XtraTQ

Established Member
Wife and I both claim 0, and I have an extra $250/paycheck withheld from my paychecks. No longer have to pay in at tax time.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
wife and I claim zero at 100k combined and get back 3,500 combined state and federal with one kid.

Last edited:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Paid almost 20k this last year in taxes. Single and claimed 0

HR block said I'm getting $700 back.

But the IRS is holding it so I have to call them.

Users who are viewing this thread