Clean Tach Output Signal from ECM

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
I've done some research and see that pin 10 of the middle connector to the ECM is a good tach output signal. You simply need to pin out the harness. Can anyone confirm that's the same for an '08 GT500? I'm running an aftermarket tach and the Tach Adapter isn't getting along with my WOT Box.
TIA,
Jason

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
On May 21,2011, DMotorsports posted that Pin 25 in the middle connector of the ECU on his 2008 provides a clean tach signal with no adapter required. In the next four years nobody has disputed this or posted that they fried their ECU.

My factory wiring diagram shows pin 10 as a ground.

Steve

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
Thanks 54first. Do you know if there is a wire off of pin 25 in the middle connector, or will I have to add a pin to the harness. Just picked up a harness out of a 3V truck to rob a pin out of and it looks near impossible to get the pin out of the harness with it on the bench. If it's just as difficult to add a pin, I'm going to have to find another way to hook up the tach adapter. Such an annoying process. Why couldn't Ford just give us a damn real tach signal?

Jason

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Pin 25 is unused. The pins usually push in from the back and a tab grabs. I have a bunch of tools for removing pins and I fiddle until I find one that works. Often if you push something small and straight into the pin side of the connector it compresses the tab and you can pull it out the back. At least you have a bunch you can practice on.

Steve

SirShaun

Established Member
You should be able to pull a clean tach signal off an injector wire as well. I used an injector wire for my Zex Window Switch on my 2006 Mustang GT and it works like a champ. You could try a coil as well but they are known to be more noisier than the injector wire.

Users who are viewing this thread