Cleaning inner dish of wheel??

oxw01svt

Established Member
I have some bumps from salt and asphault rocks stuck on the inside of the inner dish of the rim, and i have some 000 steel wool at home. I was wondering if i could use that on the inside of the rim, i have chrome saleen wheels. Or is the steel wool going to take the chrome plating off the inner dish? What other methods of getting this part of the rim clean do you guys use. Thanks

SVT2122

Established Member
I just take the wheels off the car, and spray them down with simple green and go to town with a soap and water and a wash mitt, that should get some of the bigger stuff of. Than you can clay the whole wheel, mine didn't come out looking 100% factory, but they look really clean.

I've heard of people using that steal wool with good results, but I've never used it first hand so I don't want to tell you to do it and mess your wheel up.

This is how mine came out the way I described.

DSCN0306.jpg

oxw01svt

Established Member
I've heard of people using that steal wool with good results, but I've never used it first hand so I don't want to tell you to do it and mess your wheel up.

We use 000 steel wool and 0000 steel wool here at work on the frets of guitars but those arent dipped in chrome theyre just polished steel. I just dont want the chrome to come off when i use the steel wool.

SVT2122

Established Member
Well, the chrome is under a clear coat, so if you used it, very very lightly, and than follow up with a polish. The best thing I could tell you is to try it in a small spot, or wait for someone who knows for sure.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
I use simple green and a green 3M scrub pad. I can't tell by your post if you are cleaning or trying to sand out a burr from a rock hitting it but if you are just cleaning the simple green should cut it.

hoofbeat

Established Member
:beer:I have the same wheels on my car . Every spring (i show my car a lot) i clean the inside od the wheels using a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and 000 steel wool. Then wash and polish the wheels.

Shoeman 1

Established Member
Charcoal lighter fluid will also work on the tar bumps it is what I use along with simple green. Then just wash & wax them.

Users who are viewing this thread