Cleaning laptop keys

vertgt95

Established Member
So in the middle of an intense Wii bowling game a beer got spilled on the keys of my laptop. The keys are a bit sticky now and i was wondering if there is a way to clean under the keys.Thanks for any help with this.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
It depends on the type of keyboard, but you might be able to take it apart and clean it.

Remove the keys and see if you can clean it that way. The keys should pull right off. Be careful with the space bar since it might have a thin metal rod under it for added support.

If the beer made it down into the rubber membrane, you'll need to take the keyboard apart and take out the membrane to wash it. Also clean off any beer residue from the contact points on the main circuit board (where the rubber membrane "keys" make contact).

Or better yet, just get a new keyboard.

vertgt95

Established Member
No really it was beer. Thanks NyteByte I'll try that.Oh i have a Dell Inspiron E1505 it that helps.

txyaloo

Established Member
Don't take the keys off... You'll never be able to get them back on. Laptop keys are attached differently than a regular keyboard's keys. Dell makes it really easy to remove the keyboards. Your best bet is to remove the keyboard and stick it in the dishwasher with a little bit of soap. Don't let it go through the dry/heat cycle. Once it's done being washed let it air dry with the keys facing down for a day and then you can reinstall it.

That should fix it. If it doesn't, a new keyboard from Dell is around $30 unless you have a complete care warranty and then it'd be free.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Khameleon said:
translation: "I was beating the one eyed monster and splooged all over my keyboard, how do i get it out?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats what i was betting on, ive never seen beer make anything really sticky unless its been there for hours

Users who are viewing this thread