cleaning up the 01 rims

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Since my 01 rims are off for the winter I figured I would see what I can do about cleaning them up.

Before and After
before-after.jpg

About 70% done. What can I use to get the adhesive stuff off the rims??? I tried to sand that shit off and it is still there.

01rim-back.jpg

From the front. Looking good.

01rim-front.jpg

The adhesive is the biggest battle. The machining on the outer portion prevents a mirror finish from being achieved. The inside is a smoother finish and if you sand it up a bit and hit it with a wool pad it starts to reflect like my catback. The metal has imperfections that I would have to go deeper to remove but its not worth the time.

Last edited:

elyrain

Established Member
I'm not sure if it'll mess up your rims but you can usually get adhesive off with some goo gone or xylene(same sh!t).

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Sanding blocks, then wet sanding, followed up with wool pad 4inch attached to drill. Mothers aluminum polish.

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I had to take off the adhesive from the sticky weights that were on the inside to balance and WD 40 did awesome. Let soak for 10 minutes then gently scraping with a soft plastic piece. GL

Jamie R.

Established Member
Did you take the clear coat off the wheels to get them to shine that like that? If so how did you get the clear coat off? I would like to do this to my stockers!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Did you take the clear coat off the wheels to get them to shine that like that? If so how did you get the clear coat off? I would like to do this to my stockers!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

I never did anything to the clearcoat on the face of the rims. The only thing I polished out was the inside. As for the outside I treat it like a painted surface on a car with a clearcoat. I used swirl removers and followed up with a synthetic sealant.

I would never take the clearcoat off the 01 rims. That is what helps them keep the glossy shine and the lower maintenance that non clearcoated polished rims don't have.

Jamie R.

Established Member
My clear coat is a little dingy and my '01 wheels do not shine like that. I have thought about taking the clear off to polish them up and then clear them again. Oh yeah, some of my clear coat is flaking on the corners of the wheels. Anybody have any suggestions for clear coat removal? Oh yeah, I love your sig!

Jamie R.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
My clear coat is a little dingy and my '01 wheels do not shine like that. I have thought about taking the clear off to polish them up and then clear them again. Oh yeah, some of my clear coat is flaking on the corners of the wheels. Anybody have any suggestions for clear coat removal? Oh yeah, I love your sig!

Jamie R.

Well I know that the 04 Cobra guys used aircraft remover to get the painted layer off the inside of the chrome rims to reveal the chrome layer. Now research this first, but one would think if the aircraft remover will get the paint off it will sure take off the clear on your rims.

As far as the sig. Thanks! I decided I was going to do one good burnout with the car as I never do burnouts or launches.(my IRS has 104k and still going strong) So that is a 2nd gear burnout. Got it on video too.

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
Looks good. time to get some chrome 04's Jon. I used air craft stripper on mine from autozone.

Polishedd.jpg

2001asp

Established Member
What grit sand paper.....2000....2500....100?....kidding on the 100......and which steelwool 00..000..0000? Thanx, your wheels look great....also when I lower my car the wheels are going to look all sucked in.....which wheel spacers would look ok with the stocks? I have seen the 1inch and they looked :xpl:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Looks good. Too labor intensive for me though, I'll stick with powder coated rims, just have to wipe them :)

Users who are viewing this thread