Clearance Problem LFP IC Tank and Hood Blanket

1BDSNK

Established Member
Just finished installing a LFP intercooler tank in my 2003 Cobra and while I was at it, a new hood blanket. While closing the hood (slowly) I noticed the LFP tank interferes with hood blanket and prevents the hood from closing.

I read through KB22Cobra LFP Intercooler reservoir installation posting, pretty good by the way, and noticed in his pictures he still had his hood blanket installed.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if so, what’s the fix?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Just take the hood blanket off.. Many have done it with no problems, and if anything, taking it off helps keep the engine cooler

03yellow

Established Member
something is not right .
dont take the blanket off;The heat is bad on your hood paint.
The paint will fade after several years of the excessive blower heat..

1BDSNK said:
Just finished installing a LFP intercooler tank in my 2003 Cobra and while I was at it, a new hood blanket. While closing the hood (slowly) I noticed the LFP tank interferes with hood blanket and prevents the hood from closing.

I read through KB22Cobra LFP Intercooler reservoir installation posting, pretty good by the way, and noticed in his pictures he still had his hood blanket installed.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if so, what’s the fix?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

CWD

Established Member
Agreed

03yellow said:
something is not right .
Something is not right. Mine does leave an imprint on the blanket but no big deal. It does close easily however. Recheck installation.

03atc

Established Member
I have the LFP Intercooler Tank, I had to do some modding to my hood blanket to get the hood to close.

Wolfhound

25th Infantry
Established Member
I took my hood blanket off on my Cobra when I installed the tank also. I took it off on my GT and it was getting penty hot but never messed with the paint.

U1arunit

10 Second Club
Established Member
Same here. Tank went in, blanket was removed. Paint is fine especially with my hood vents open all the time to let heat out.

03yellow

Established Member
It will take several years (4 or more) but the paint will start to fade in the center. Silver is the worst!!!
The heaton sits very close to the hood.

Last edited:

The Pun

Formerly 10th03cobra
Established Member
03yellow said:
It will take several years (4 or more) but the paint will start to fade in the center. Silver is the worst!!!
The heaton sits very close to the hood.

Well I guess I will find out in another 2 years. :beer:

BTW itz a Kenne Bell :rockon:

TEABG

Banned
03yellow said:
something is not right .

I rather paint my hood every three years than trapping all the freaking heat in. Heat = wear and tear and affects performance and economy. Hoods get rock-chips anyways and should be repainted every three years. Removed the hood blanket since day 1. Another member here even commented to me how shiny my pant is so HOOD BLANKET = GOOD............... IT LOOKS WAY BETTER ALSO BECAUSE MY COBRA RUN HAD THE WHOLE UNDERNEATH OF THE HOOD PAINTED

1BDSNK

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. So, I gather this is normal and my options are to modify or remove the hood blanket. I guess I’ll try modifying it first as ford just extracted $110.00 ($104.00 plus tax) out of me for the hood blanket. Besides, I kind of like the way it looks.

It doesn’t interfere by much and I’ll try cutting a three-sided flap in the hood blanket so the IC tank can push that part of the hood blanket up when the hood is closed. If I do it right, it shouldn’t look to bad.

The LFP IC tank is a real nice piece of work and looks great under the hood, so there’s no way that’s being removed!!

Thanks again for all the help. It is appreciated!

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
TEABG said:
I rather paint my hood every three years than trapping all the freaking heat in. Heat = wear and tear and affects performance and economy. Hoods get rock-chips anyways and should be repainted every three years. Removed the hood blanket since day 1. Another member here even commented to me how shiny my pant is so HOOD BLANKET = GOOD............... IT LOOKS WAY BETTER ALSO BECAUSE MY COBRA RUN HAD THE WHOLE UNDERNEATH OF THE HOOD PAINTED

not to start crap, but why would engineers put the blanket there in the first place if not for some good reason :shrug: for those wanting to keep the blanket with LFP IC clearance issues I plan on takeing a razor knife and "trimming" the blanket in that area if it dosen't fit

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
don't quote me on this but I believe it is for the stereo,--the blanket is grounded and keeps engine noise from interferring with the stereo or something similar to that

Shlby

Established Member
I had to modify my tank brackets to get my LFP tank to fit. I lowered it about 3/4 ". It sets just above the A/C line now!!

gopats76

Established Member
CWD said:
Something is not right. Mine does leave an imprint on the blanket but no big deal. It does close easily however. Recheck installation.

Same here. Closes with no problem. I too would leave the heat balnket on and recheck...

bnglcat

Established Member
I8URZ28 said:
not to start crap, but why would engineers put the blanket there in the first place if not for some good reason :shrug: for those wanting to keep the blanket with LFP IC clearance issues I plan on takeing a razor knife and "trimming" the blanket in that area if it dosen't fit

Isn't the blanket used for a form of flame supressent if there is an engine fire? It melts or something in hopes to smother the fire? Well, that is something I heard once upon a time.

None the less, mine is off as well...has been for 2 years with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread