Clicking Sound from Front Wheel Area in Reverse

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
It is usually caused by the steering rack bushings.

Some have taken out the sleeve of the bushings and shaved just a little bit off and it has cured it.

Others just buy the MM solid bushings and that seems to cure it as well.

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Even on the low mile Cobras..this thing just hit 13k! Besides the noise, are the bushings damaged or just a poor OEM design? If it doesnt have to be replaced, I wont turn the wheel all the way..LoL.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
i have the exact same noise. only when i back out of the garage and turn wheel. car had 14,000 when i bought it last year,now 18,000. i have to try the fix,good winter project.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I started getting a similar noise recently. I inspected everything and noticed my inner tie rods are worn and sloppy but nothing out of the ordinary with my poly rack bushings. keep us updated.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I was getting a noise in the left front when applying the brakes only in reverse.Turned out to be the little rubber bushings were missing in the anti rattle clips.Some dummy (me) forgot to install them when swapping pads.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Even on the low mile Cobras..this thing just hit 13k! Besides the noise, are the bushings damaged or just a poor OEM design? If it doesnt have to be replaced, I wont turn the wheel all the way..LoL.
Yes, even on brand new Cobras with 0 miles. LOL...

It's not the rubber bushings themselves that are bad. It's the bushing sleeve that goes in the center of it. They were a little too long and cause this issue.

Ford has a TSB on it and they replace them with new ones.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Have the same thing on my 03 10th ann. as well (36K). I think its one of those "bugs" that all cobra owners have, I'm sure its nothing serious but it gets annoying/obnoxious sometimes.

Jefe

Established Member
I was getting a noise in the left front when applying the brakes only in reverse.Turned out to be the little rubber bushings were missing in the anti rattle clips.Some dummy (me) forgot to install them when swapping pads.
Where did you find the rubber bushings? Just bought the anti rattle kit and it just has the clips

Users who are viewing this thread