Close one against WS6

scog72

Established Member
Had the best race of my inexperienced career the other day. Saw a WS6 trans am and noticed he was checking my car out. Next thing you know he down shifts and nails it. We played around a little after that but I was slowly pulling every time. Our most even race we both kicked it at the same time, he jumps out in front then I gained to only pull 1/2 - 1 car on him through second. When we got to fourth, I granny shifted since I was ahead and he missed it. Overall a very stout car. We pulled over and talked about it and said he had z06 cams, full exhaust (headers and all), 3.72(?) gears, and a tune. Said he had 405 to the ground from his dyno tune. I was excited to actually win a close race that I was supposed to win but was impressed with his car as well. I only have 3.1 pulley, CAI, weld-in flowmasters for mods right now. Like to know what everyone thinks about those cars.

scog72

Established Member
It sure seemed like it did. LOL He had a fast car. I had heard ya'lls cars were really fast especially when modded but was surprised it was that quick. He told me mine was faster than most cobras as he has pulled 3-4 cars on all he had raced. Im wondering if he was talking about the 99,01 cobras. But anyway said he had been to jail recently after being clocked going 173. He may have been lying, as I don't know anything about the WS6 but I know it was a pretty fast car.

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
Gonna agree with Batmobile. After everything I've seen and my buddy talking about LSx builds for F-bodies, its just not gonna hit 400+rwhp.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Educated guess. Someone changed the cam, doubtful someone would waste their time putting a weak Z06 cam in. So it has a mystery cam and probably does in fact make 405.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
OP the 405 number seems like to much of a coincidence, that's the crank rating of the ls6. No way to make 400rwhp with that cam and stock heads. He likely had 3.73 gears... Z06 cars have 3.90 equivalent to an fbody (we have 3.42 out back) so a lot of guys use 3.73 or 4.10 to utilize the cams power band (4000+ rpm).

As far as the 173 claim.. Stock limiter for an fbody is 160 and it's said they can reach just over 170mph stock (very similar aeros to a c5 z06, .34 Cd And 22ft frontal vs .33 Cd and 22ft frontal; sadly the Z06 is mechanically limited to 176 mph with 350rwhp). No limiter and 50rwhp more than stock those speeds can be done easily IMHO)

Not gonna hit 400whp with an LS6 cam unless he's gonna some ported heads to go along with that.

This. With the 02+ cam you are looking at 370-380rwhp with 241 heads (2001-2002).

Dyno Results, LS6-Cam + LT Headers ('02 Firehawk) - LS1TECH

2001 WS6 LS6 Cam Only 380rwhp - LS1TECH

Educated guess. Someone changed the cam, doubtful someone would waste their time putting a weak Z06 cam in. So it has a mystery cam and probably does in fact make 405.

It's actually a solid gain (20rwhp or better over full boltons) and my swap was a whole 200.00. Best part is I still avg mid 20s for gas mileage and it sounds stock. For a daily driver it's a good setup (I am biased of course). :)

Last edited:

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
you guys are missing the point, apparently it had z06 camS, so it had an OHC swap so maybe it did have 405 whp.... just messin with you op

either way good kill

scog72

Established Member
So basically the driver didn't know much about his car. Haha. Oh well. I'm still glad I won I just felt better believing the 405 line. It was a fun race either way. Thanks for everyones input.

DEMARCO313

Established Member

I agree with this. It could indeed have 405rwhp but not with those mods. People lie about their mods all the time to make it seem like they have less then what they really have. It's probably a mystery cam or if it is the ls6 cam he probably has ported heads or something.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
OP I deal with those GM guys and their "MYSTERIOUS" mods 9/10 out here. I get over it after asking for the 321543265476 time lol. Either way good kill.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Good kill. Who knows the set up, dude either bought it modded as is and doesn't know specs or he's just lieing. Either way nice kill!

I do love trans ams though. I tried to give a dude in a 02 ss a thumbs up and he just looked the other way lol; his plates read : GT LOL

DEMARCO313

Established Member
It can still be a big cam but have a high LSA which determines how the car will idle. For example a cam can be sized 234/234 and the LSA (Lobe Seperaton Angle) could be 111 which would make it idle rough and it will be very noticeable that the car has a cam, or it could be the same 234/234 but with a 118LSA and it would sound very close to a stock car coming off the assembly line., and barely noticeable at all.

With that said, it's really a mystery and sucks people has to lie about their mods. Good kill either way

Users who are viewing this thread