Clunk???

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
My car started to have a clunking sound coming from the drivetrain today when you let the clutch out at low speeds. Not sure what the hell it is. I noticed that it will sometimes do it when you press the clutch in coming to a stop as well.

I just got the car back from the dealership this past Saturday. The car had a vibration over 80MPH and the dealer changed the driveshaft, rear differential and rebalanced the tires. Vibration seems to be gone (at least up to 130MPH) but now I have a clunk. WTF?

Also it seems to only do it pulling out easy or coming to a stop. Whenever you launch the car hard or powershift it, there is no clunk. Car only has 1,500 miles on it and only mod so far is the Densecharger.

Any Ideas?????

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by Viper_ed
My car started to have a clunking sound coming from the drivetrain today when you let the clutch out at low speeds. Not sure what the hell it is. I noticed that it will sometimes do it when you press the clutch in coming to a stop as well.

I just got the car back from the dealership this past Saturday. The car had a vibration over 80MPH and the dealer changed the driveshaft, rear differential and rebalanced the tires. Vibration seems to be gone (at least up to 130MPH) but now I have a clunk. WTF?

Also it seems to only do it pulling out easy or coming to a stop. Whenever you launch the car hard or powershift it, there is no clunk. Car only has 1,500 miles on it and only mod so far is the Densecharger.

Any Ideas?????

we all have it, normal for Ford Mustangs.

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
A buddy of mine has a Bullitt and he said that he has noticed something similar on it. What get me is that it just started today!

03snakerush

Established Member
If you just had all the rear end work done, I would think it would be somewhat related. It sounds like a rear sway bar bushing isn't torqued down tight enough or at least something in that area. I'd suggest taking it back and go on a road test with a tech to point it out. Good luck...:beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I am starting to think more and more that this is caused by the front bolt of the IRS assembly being 12mm in diameter and the crush sleeve of the bushing being 14mm. There are several people that have replaced the 12mm bolt with the 14mm one and say the clunk went away.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
The T56 is a loud tranny, especially when a strong clutch is used. Its normal.

I drained mine and replace the fluid with Redline D-4 and it is much quieter and smoother now.

Users who are viewing this thread