Clunking in the rear end :( Reputable shops?

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
I was wondering if there is anyone local who could take a look at my car, I pulled it out after this big snow, put air in the tires and drove it to work, and discovered there's a huge clunking noise coming from the back end. It sounds just like I'm going over rumble strips or something. It happens intermittently and at all speeds, so I'm not really sure what it is. I have a guy over in glen burnie area who has fixed some problems I had before, and I may just take it to him, but I figured someone knew someone on here who may have experience with this sort of problem. You think it may just be bushings, or bearings? It has aftermarket 4.10's, was like that when I bought it. I remember the guy saying when I bought it that he had some problems with it rumbling or clunking or something, but he had put shims in there somehow that made it go away. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Thanks for the help

wheelhopper

Established Member
My initial thought would be your differential bushings.

Take it to Jason, aka Turbo VNM, or as the ladies call him, TurboLVR.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

There is a TSB for the rear end clunk, however, these cars are known to have a driveline clunk as it is. how long was the car sitting and not moved? how many miles have you put on it since you took it out of storage? flat spots on tires maybe from sitting and they just need to get worked out? could be just retorqing the IRS/diff bolts as well. at the same time, if the stock diff bushings are in there, inspection of those could be good. I have seen them wear pretty good and replacement with a poly or aluminum bushing fixes this.

if the previous owner had the issue before, did it happen before the gear swap? are you getting any whine on accel, decel or cruise?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Does the clunk happen when you are just driving down the road? Or is it only when you hit the gas or let off the gas. If you go on-off-on-off the gas a bunch of times and it clunks each time, that's definitely the diff bushings and those are an easy replacement. If it's constant when you are just cruising, it could be something inside the diff.

Totsie7944

Established Member
My buddy Adam owns his own Mustang performance shop. Just rebuilt SVTRookie (Tom's) Rear end last spring. He would be able to look at this and probably give you a pretty quick assessment. His shop is near Towson. Let me know and I'll give you more info.

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
Does the clunk happen when you are just driving down the road? Or is it only when you hit the gas or let off the gas. If you go on-off-on-off the gas a bunch of times and it clunks each time, that's definitely the diff bushings and those are an easy replacement. If it's constant when you are just cruising, it could be something inside the diff.

Mine does that fairly often - easy to do? I'm assuming MM's kit would be the way to go.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Mine does that fairly often - easy to do? I'm assuming MM's kit would be the way to go.

Yeah, I put in the MM poly bushings and the clunk was completely gone. There was about 3/4" of play in my diff with the stock bushings.

Pretty easy to do, just have to remove the front diff bolts and possibly two of the UCA bolts if your diff mount bar gets in the way. The UCA bolts are the toughest because they are hard to get to and very tight. Took about an hour in Jason's garage on the lift. Well worth it though.

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
Yeah, I put in the MM poly bushings and the clunk was completely gone. There was about 3/4" of play in my diff with the stock bushings.

Pretty easy to do, just have to remove the front diff bolts and possibly two of the UCA bolts if your diff mount bar gets in the way. The UCA bolts are the toughest because they are hard to get to and very tight. Took about an hour in Jason's garage on the lift. Well worth it though.

What set did you go with? Thanks for the info by the way.

edit: nm, I skimmed over you saying MM. Thx.

Last edited:

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
There is a TSB for the rear end clunk, however, these cars are known to have a driveline clunk as it is. how long was the car sitting and not moved? how many miles have you put on it since you took it out of storage? flat spots on tires maybe from sitting and they just need to get worked out? could be just retorqing the IRS/diff bolts as well. at the same time, if the stock diff bushings are in there, inspection of those could be good. I have seen them wear pretty good and replacement with a poly or aluminum bushing fixes this.

if the previous owner had the issue before, did it happen before the gear swap? are you getting any whine on accel, decel or cruise?

I'm pretty sure it's in the pumpkin. It doesn't do it when you give it gas, then let off then give it gas, it basically feels to me like it does it just when it feels like it, maybe more-so when you let off the gas. Seems also like it does it worse when you're doing about 60. Where are you located, do you think if you drove it you could figure out what it is? I'm in Carroll county. The car wasn't sitting that long, it just basically was under the snow for 3 or 4 weeks.

Which reminds me, I'm also having a problem with the battery going completely dead after it sits for over a week, and I just replaced the battery. Could this be the alternator, or would it go dead while I was driving it if that was the case?

As much as I hate to admit this, the tires were low when I got it out, so when I put air in them, I couldn't find my gauge. I put way to much air in the left rear tire, over 70 lbs, and the max is supposed to be 51. I fixed this problem the other morning, and just drove it and it SEEMED like it wasn't as bad, but it's still kinda doing it. I just want it to be smooth and no noises back there. It literally just feels like I'm driving on rumble strips.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

well, looks like you may be pretty far from me. I am in southern md.

how long have you owned the car and did it do it before parking it?

you said you went to someone in glen burnie before. Billy(wiseguy) is in the silver spring area and would be closer for you and he is in MACA and is a supporting vendor as well. While I would love to look at it for you and help, the drive here is pretty far.

the battery, even new could have a bad cell and not fully charging. your best bet is to take it to a local part store and they can test the battery and alternator in the car. that or if you go to billy's then he should be able to check that.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Who's billy? How far are you from MIR? It never did it as bad, but before, when i'd hit about 80 it'd start making a humming noise or something in the rear end, then as soon as it'd get below that speed, it'd be ok again.

I've owned the car since 08, but it sat basically until July 09 cuz I wrecked it, and paid for it out of pocket to have it fixed. The tires on the back are from right after I fixed it, yet they already have fine tire rot lines on them, it's odd. I'm taking it to a friends place in PA on Saturday (hope I make it) and he has a lift where I can lift it up and see if I can figure out what may be wrong :/ I'm not that good at mechanical work, I mean I'm not stupid, but I don't have much hands on experience, so I don't think I'd like to just tear into something unless I had someone there helping me that knew what they were doing. My buddy knows more than I do, so maybe we'll figure it out. I just figured I'd check here, and maybe someone else woulda had the same problem. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread