Clunking noise from rear

blitz1029

Established Member
Hey guys,

I took my car out last Saturday and had a few runs. Driving home I noticed heavy clunking sounds when making turns from the rear end of the car. Anyone have this issue and what was the repair? Thanks!

MG0h3

Established Member
First guess would be the side gears. They are what allow the wheels to spin at two different speeds while turning.

Sometimes referred to as spider gears.

First step is to get the rear tires off the ground. Grab a wheel and spin it. May need to hold the opposing wheel to get them to differentiate.

If you confirm the clunking is coming from the diff, pull the pan off and inspect.

The good news is, these can be replaced without pulling the whole diff.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

LS WUT

Established Member
First guess would be the side gears. They are what allow the wheels to spin at two different speeds while turning.

Sometimes referred to as spider gears.

First step is to get the rear tires off the ground. Grab a wheel and spin it. May need to hold the opposing wheel to get them to differentiate.

If you confirm the clunking is coming from the diff, pull the pan off and inspect.

The good news is, these can be replaced without pulling the whole diff.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I second this as well. I’ve replaced the gears, and even my diff because of the clunking. My car had more launches than nasa to be fair.

blitz1029

Established Member
I appreciate it guys! So it is the spider gears and from what I’m finding out is that you can replace the spider gears on 13/14 with track pack.

Would would be a good upgraded differential for street use? Making 1000+ rwhp street car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread