Clunky/notchy shifting with MGW Gen2

NJredfire03

Established Member
Anyone else have a fairly clunky or notchy 1-2 shift with their MGW? I didn't have the car long before I installed the shifter. I don't want to say it started happening after the install. But maybe the stiffer shifter made the notchiness more prevalent. It's 1-2 and 2-3, mostly 1-2. And if I shift into a gear, 2nd or 3rd or back into first, and i take it out of gear and go back into the same gear. It will be smooth. Shifter or trans really isn't sync'd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy49

Established Member
Do you have the short or long shifter shaft? It has been mentioned that the Gen 2 is a little stiff when you first install and gets better after all the grease in the housing gets distributed.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Is this on a fully warmed up engine/transmission? How many miles on the car?

NJredfire03

Established Member
Do you have the short or long shifter shaft? It has been mentioned that the Gen 2 is a little stiff when you first install and gets better after all the grease in the housing gets distributed.

You know, I don't know. Never knew there was two options.

HighTorque

Established Member
Make sure the shifter arm is able to make full travel front to back if it is hitting the edges of the shifter boot trim loosen the bolts on the top of the shifter and go through the shifting motions and the shifetr should center itself.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Make sure the shifter arm is able to make full travel front to back if it is hitting the edges of the shifter boot trim loosen the bolts on the top of the shifter and go through the shifting motions and the shifetr should center itself.

Which bolts exactly? On top of the main housing? It does sound like there's rubbing when I'm all the way to the left for 1 and 2.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Before you go any further, contact George at MGW and get his opinion. It could save you a few headaches.
706-793-1770

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Anyone else have a fairly clunky or notchy 1-2 shift with their MGW? I didn't have the car long before I installed the shifter. I don't want to say it started happening after the install. But maybe the stiffer shifter made the notchiness more prevalent. It's 1-2 and 2-3, mostly 1-2. And if I shift into a gear, 2nd or 3rd or back into first, and i take it out of gear and go back into the same gear. It will be smooth. Shifter or trans really isn't sync'd?

I had the same exact problem as you when I first installed my mgw gen2 but give it a couple hundred miles and it will break in. Mines way better now that I have 600 miles on it and FYI I have both long and short handles and I couldn't tell the difference at all.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I had the same exact problem as you when I first installed my mgw gen2 but give it a couple hundred miles and it will break in. Mines way better now that I have 600 miles on it and FYI I have both long and short handles and I couldn't tell the difference at all.

Well I have about 2k miles since install. Mostly highway though. Something just doesn't feel lined up. I even had my install job double checked by a professional. Nothing wrong with the install. The two guys who looked at it said its definitely "clunky" and not as smooth as other MGW's they've installed.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Called MGW, George won't be in till Monday. Going to give me a call back. Hope he has some answers.

03kbredfire

Established Member
Mine feels the same way. Just installed 1 day ago. I believe you may want to go with the longer handle. I may do the same. Just to see how it feels I may loosen the shifter at the base and the ball by a 1/4" or so each to replicate the longer handle feel. A quick ? Is anything lowered on your car as in K member or engine. This may affect the alignment of shifter to output shaft.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Mine feels the same way. Just installed 1 day ago. I believe you may want to go with the longer handle. I may do the same. Just to see how it feels I may loosen the shifter at the base and the ball by a 1/4" or so each to replicate the longer handle feel. A quick ? Is anything lowered on your car as in K member or engine. This may affect the alignment of shifter to output shaft.

Nope. This is my only mod

03kbredfire

Established Member
Nope. This is my only mod

Do you suppose the feel is from less force from the 1.5" drop of the stock shifter? Love the shifter and easily finds target but does require a fair amount greater effort to engage gears. The only way to know for sure may be to raise an 1.5" to se how close it resembles stock as far as engagement.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Do you suppose the feel is from less force from the 1.5" drop of the stock shifter? Love the shifter and easily finds target but does require a fair amount greater effort to engage gears. The only way to know for sure may be to raise an 1.5" to se how close it resembles stock as far as engagement.

I really don't know. I might look into that longer handle though.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Just got off the phone with George at MGW. He said they have found that some of these engine and transmissions aren't perfectly lined up with the rear bushing bracket studs. Causing the shifter to bind, especially with the 1-2 shift. They're sending out a new rear bracket that has oval holes instead of just circular. Allowing the shifter to stay centered even if it doesn't line up square with those rear studs. Thank you for telling me to call George. Simple and informative phone call. This definitely sounds like this is my issue. Two thumbs up to George and the MGW team for always improving on their designs.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Here is a picture of the new bracket. This was introduced about 6 months ago. So if you bought your shifter in the last 6 months, you got the slotted bracket.

MGW Gen 3 Rear Bracket - Slotted.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread