cluster bezel trim install

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
So I went out to dallas mustang and bought a few interior pieces to excite things a little bit. A/C knobs, window switches, steering switches, and a dash bezel (think that's what it's called). Anyways, I go to install the damn dash bezel and the way things look, they want you to put the sticker right on the plastic piece. ON the plastic piece. Now how cheesy is that! So I took apart the instrumental cluster put it on a bench, removed the plastic "housing" and then the plastic housing wouldn't come apart. So now I'm confused exactly how after market pieces are done with whatever color you want but you can buy them. Does anyone have any solutions or have tried this? I am wondering how you take the plastic piece off the cluster. Meaning, when you take the whole dash apart and completely take out the dash, the plastic housing that covers the gauges, how do you take that apart because it's sealed together. I am installing a brushed aluminum bezel but I do not want to put it straight on the housing. Looks bad and un-professional. :shrug:

I did a search but could not find anything on this. Saw a few pictures but those were complete replacements of the dash bezel or cluster.

I attached a few pictures, hope it shows up and helps on what I'm talking about.

This is when i'm starting the removal...
06-06-07_1733.gif

06-06-07_1737.gif

on the table...
06-06-07_1757.gif

now this is what it you should be able to see IF the plastic housing doesn't cover it up...
06-06-07_1812.gif

06-06-07_1811.gif

but as you can see, that plastic housing on top will sit right on the gauges...so obviously this isn't right.

anyways....... any kind of help on this would be greatly appreciated.. thanx!!

snake_01

Crazy SVT
Established Member
hey man when I installed that on my 95 cobra i had to cut the outer part of the plasting housing to remove the clear part and i put the the new one over the black housing and the use super glue to put the clear pastic back on. I know that is not the right way so see if you can seperate the clear plastic from the black housing.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
snake_01 said:
hey man when I installed that on my 95 cobra i had to cut the outer part of the plasting housing to remove the clear part and i put the the new one over the black housing and the use super glue to put the clear pastic back on. I know that is not the right way so see if you can seperate the clear plastic from the black housing.

i think that is the only way you can do it....

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Cut the clear housing off? What did you use? I don't want to pry to hard or anthing, scared to crack the damn plastic lens.

Thanx for the input guys

01vert

Established Member
Buy a small xacto hand saw at a hobby shop and cut the clear where it is "welded" to the darker palstic. If you use a razor be careful not to damage it.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
BlueVenom01 said:
i think that is the only way you can do it....

That is correct - it's the only way to do it.

I used a box cutter....just being real careful. then as someone else said, glued it back together once I was done.

I liked the way it looked in my 95GT, but too much work for me to mess with now, honestly.

Last edited:

snake_01

Crazy SVT
Established Member
masalacobra said:
Cut the clear housing off? What did you use? I don't want to pry to hard or anthing, scared to crack the damn plastic lens.

Thanx for the input guys

i used a razor blade to do it!

Users who are viewing this thread