Clutch..anybody else have 'chatter' in first gear?

Pony2NV

Established Member
Noticed yet another prob with my car, or maybe its just normal. Clutch definitely 'chatters' or shudders whole car while letting out in first gear. Not all that bad, but noticeable. Just wondering if this is normal. My 92 does the same thing, but thats because it has a shi**y Zoom clutch in it, that when heats up chatters like a bitch. Great clutch for racing, but not for the street. Any help is appreciated.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Mine does it too, and when going into reverse as well. It also makes a weird "diesel"like sound in the process. My gears are grinding, and sometimes I cannot get it into a particular gear. It did this since new. They told me to put ssome break in (BS) miles in. I will take it in in a week or two.

turbo50stang

Established Member
I have the same chatter as you mentioned in 1st and reverse. I took it ito the dealership to have it checked out but nothing was done. The new Cobra's on the lot do the same thing.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Mine has a very small amount. A black Cobra I test drove had it real bad. The sales woman in the car with me thought it was broke. I told her it was most likely it was abused by a delivery guy somewhere along the line. And nearly a grand in parts to fix. Needless to say, I didn't buy that car. I bought the DSG sitting right next to it.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Mine did this when brand new....chattered in first and reverse. I hated it....took it to the dealership and they replaced the whole clutch assembly, TOB and pressure plate.

It just bothered me and you have a 12/12 warranty on the clutch...so I had it done.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by brasil
Mine does it too, and when going into reverse as well. It also makes a weird "diesel"like sound in the process. My gears are grinding, and sometimes I cannot get it into a particular gear. It did this since new. They told me to put ssome break in (BS) miles in. I will take it in in a week or two.

That weird diesal noise you describe is normal, when you first get moving. I have heard it in every car I have ever driven/owned with a T-56 6spd.

Users who are viewing this thread