Clutch/Boost Issue ?

speedy2012

Established Member
Hi all . got a 2012 GT500 that just started having a couple of issues . I had the car worked on and tuned at a local reputable shop a couple of years ago - VMP Gen 2R , Kooks longtubes w/ green cats , Mcleod RST clutch Id 1050 injectors , Vmp 67mm tb , 123mm cai , Vmp boostapump , and a couple of other things .
When I got the car back from the shop my tuner had it on E85 and it was running quite well .
I didn't change the tune until this past fall - to 93 pump gas . The dyno #'s were obviously a little lower with the pump tune , and since I was pretty gentle on the car , didn't notice any issues . When I switched the tune back to E85 this spring - after running a couple of tank fulls of e85 first - I hit it and it felt like it wasn't quite were it was .Since I don't regularly race it , and the car was running fine otherwise , I didn't worry too much about it and thought maybe it was just me . One thing I have noticed , though is that the car on E85 the first time ( when it ran well ) was eating gas more than it did on 93 , which I know is normal - but this time there seems to be very little difference in gas mileage ( driving habits about equal ) between the 2 tunes . The other problems to go along with this are when I hit it I am only seeing about 12 lbs of boost tops - when on E85 I was at about 20 lbs - and I'm also getting what is a metal burning smell coming from underneath the car , which the only thing I can see would be clutch , but the car seems to grabbing well under hard acceleration . A friend of mine and me both checked the SC belt , and see no signs of slippage and the belt is tight . I also have a Afco dual fan H/E and we checked the pump and it is definitely circulating the fluid . I know in the warm weather you will experience heat soak in 80 + degree temps - hence timing being pulled and less boost , but this is even when it is cooler out on the first and 2nd hit - driving the car calmly for only about 5 minutes first .
I understand just because there isn't too much mileage on the clutch , it can still go south , but when I get on the car it's 99% of the time from a 2nd gear roll , and even that isn't too often .Someone suggested it could be a dropped cylinder - which I guess is a possibility - I know it only takes once to hurt the motor . Maybe the clutch is out of adjustment ? Could this have anything to do with boost levels ?
Thanks for any input

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
How are you measuring boost? Factory gauge or aftermarket gauge? What size upper pulley are you running and what balancer is on the car?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You're way down on boost for a 2.5". You shouldn't see that much difference in boost on the same pulley. I'd look at the usual suspects. Check for codes and make sure your intercooler is functioning. I'm not sure what you're eluding to with respect on fuel, but if consumption has gone way up, you may have fuel pump issues. You might pull the plugs and see what they look like.

There's no adjustment for the clutch. It's hydraulic and self-adjusting to a point. Smelling funny after a pull could be an indication of slipping, but once you start to see a spike in rpm in high gear at WOT, I don't know there's a big rush to replace it, but how you use the car could make that sooner than later.

If you do suspect engine damage, perform a compression test. If you can change plugs, you can handle a compression test.

speedy2012

Established Member
Intercooler seems to be working - H/E kicks on and you can see the fluid flowing through the tank .
What I meant with the fuel is that the first time it was on E85 , fuel consumption was GREATER than it is now on the same E85 tune , almost like the car is suddenly running lean ...
ordered plugs from VMP - going to change them and see what I find and do a compression test .

Users who are viewing this thread