Clutch broke? Pedal went to the floor?

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Anyone else have this problem? I was sitting in traffic, in neutral, clutch in, waiting on a 70 Mach 1 w/ a healthy cam pull next to me so I could give him a big thumbs up, when I went to inch forward, the pedal never came up off the floor? Is this hte pressure plate or TOB thats broken?

Jerry

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Might have broken hook off the clutch quadrant? Look up under the dash above you gas pedal and check to see if the cable is still even hooked to it or not. Then you could check the shift fork end at the trans. Hopefully it's something simple.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
I pulled (from the UPR Firewall adjuster) in both directions and could feel the pedal go taught and hit the stop (pulling that direction) and pulling toward the trans it did not keep coming.. its still possible that its disconnected at the trans but I dont THINK so..

Jerry

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Need a little more information, but I’ll give it a stab.

It could be a couple of things, depending on a couple of other things. Ok, here we go:

1). Can you shift the car into gear? Assuming the pedal is still on the floor?
Yes = the clutch assy is still released for some reason. Possible causes:
Cable snagged inside cable housing or bound up some other way, preventing the free movement of the release bearing.
Clutch quadrant jammed under dashboard.
T/O bearing bound up on the input shaft tube (which is probably now broken).
These are the most likely causes because if the following were true, then the pedal would return to the top (it has a spring on the pivot).

No = cable broken, release fork bent or broken, cable off quadrant, quadrant not attached to the pedal or cable, T/O brng broken away from collar (not sure on this one as I haven’t seen these clutch setups yet).

Give us a little more info and we can make better guesses. HA!HA!

Also, will the car move if you shut off the engine, put it into gear and try to start it while it is in gear?

All except the broken input shaft tube are relatively minor.

Good luck,

Dana
PS. looks like either my watch is way off or the board is running real slow on posting the posts.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys, found out the cable is broken. It was installed wrong and the threaded end (it was an adjustable cable too) was operating inside the cable housing where it should not have been.. DOH!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Glad it was something simple!!
Good thing you were sitting at the light in neutral!! It could have gotten a little hairy otherwise.

Guess the answer was no, it won't go into gear, huh?

Dana

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana

Guess the answer was no, it won't go into gear, huh?

Dana

Correct!! Thanks for all the input Dana. The new cable makes the thing so much easier to shift! :) I wasn't too concerned about the harder clutch given the other gremlins I was chasing but its nice as all this stuff finally falls into place.. Now I'll go ruin it and change the combo :)

Users who are viewing this thread