clutch cable adjustment

Smoked SVT

Established Member
I installed a new ram clutch before selling the car but now the cable is so tight that I can barely press the clutch in. I know about the firewall adj so do I need to buy one of those or is there another solution? Need help quickly please!!!

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Tightening the clutch won't make the pedal pressue firmer or softer. What kind of Ram clutch did you install? It might just be a stiff pressure plate.

Other than the firm pedal pressure, does the clutch work fine? Does it grab at the floor or at the top when you let out the clutch? Any chance your cable may be routed wrong or something?

Also, check under your car ASAP and make sure that the plastic piece at the end of the clutch cable is in the round hole on the bellhousing. I've had that part break, and it caused a really stiff pedal because the cable was frayed. (If that don't make any sense I can probably post a pic of what I'm talking about after work for ya).

Smoked SVT

Established Member
when i said push the clutch in i didnt mean it was hard but i can push it in maybe 3 inches (just a guess) and no further. The cable is way too tight to allow the fork to move back and forth all the way. i didnt mess with the cable routing at all and it was fine before. the last clutch i put in my 96 went in with zero problems.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Might be a stupid question, but is the clutch cable an adjustable one with a nut on the transmission- fork end? If so, loosen it quite a bit.

Try reaching under your dash and just feel along the clutch quadrant to make sure that the cable is sitting in the groove of the quadrant. Also, check underneath to make sure the cable isn't frayed.

The cable should be really simple, and something is not right for it to not have hardly any play at all. It's got to be fairly obvious what the problem is. I'm just throwing out some suggestions for ya.

Smoked SVT

Established Member
Might be a stupid question, but is the clutch cable an adjustable one with a nut on the transmission- fork end? If so, loosen it quite a bit.

Try reaching under your dash and just feel along the clutch quadrant to make sure that the cable is sitting in the groove of the quadrant. Also, check underneath to make sure the cable isn't frayed.

The cable should be really simple, and something is not right for it to not have hardly any play at all. It's got to be fairly obvious what the problem is. I'm just throwing out some suggestions for ya.

ok i bought an adj clutch cable and that solved my no slack problem but my clutch wont engage fully no matter where i adj the cable. The pedel feels alot better now but the tires spin with the clutch pedal engaged. I need to get this thing gone so any suggestions???

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Tighten it just a bit more so that when you push the pedal in the pressure plate can fully release the clutch disc

Users who are viewing this thread