Clutch cable issues ?

Mr. Whistle

Established Member
Well let me start off by saying i went to the track sunday. I made quite a few passes but still left time inbetween them for the car to cool down(probably 20 min. in between passes, a few times i did make 2 passes back to back). Torward the end of my day i think the clutch was getting hot because it was getting really grabby. I stopped making passes at that point. I got back to the pits and it wanted to stick in gear. I let the car cool down before my drive home and it did it stuck in gear one more time on the way home(15 miles from the track when i was pulling into the gas station).

It drove fine the rest of the 100 miles home, shifts smooth and doesnt clutch doesnt slip at all. Now upon a cold start up after the car has been sitting all night if i have the clutch on the floor and it in 1st gear it will lurch about 1/2" forward just for a split second when i initailly start it up. The car doesnt do it when its warm and has no driveability issues. Does this sound like the clutch cable could possibly be a little warn out ? Just curious as to your thoughts. The car has 37k on it now and im thinking its possible but not 100% sure since i havent looked into it any further yet.

*edit* has anyone else had this same problem?

Last edited:

bubbaflaat

Established Member
When my clutch cable was in the process of going bad I would adjust the clutch(firewall adjuster) then about a week later it would be a lil bit out of adjustment moreso if I was at the track. And the pedal was getting very stiff too. Then it finally let go completely.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

bubbaflaat

Established Member
So I would tend to agree with you maybe your cable is going bad. I have 80k miles I'm on the third cable.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
If you get a new one get a maximum motorsports one I got that and its way better than the steeda that was on there

Mr. Whistle

Established Member
Do you know of an aftermarket cable that would tend to last longer then an oem ? i believe its still a stock cable on my car.

perry2k12

Established Member
Most guys will tell you the OEM is the way to go. Maximum motorsports sells a Ford OEM cable that is modified to work specifically with a firewall adjuster. Get that cable and a firewall adjuster if you don't already have one. After my cable snapped I bought this cable from them and it's been 100% fine ever since.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...age=product_info&cPath=50_160&products_id=897

If you don't have a firewall adjuster and aluminum quadrant, consider those too!

Last edited:

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
I had a few cables break with my last cobra a few years ago due to a bad install on a quadrant. In that time, my car did the same thing, it would lurch forward and continue to move. When I looked into it, i found that the cable was actually stretching because I had one or 2 individual strands break right where it mates up to the quadrant. You wouldn't really feel it if only a few strands break but it can cause your issues. Whatever you do, don't buy an adjustable clutch cable. Buy OEM ford or OEM maximum motorsports, as they are both made by the same people, but the others are crap. Good luck.

Richie

Mr. Whistle

Established Member
Thanks guys, i think im going to go with the mm quadrant. Not 100% sure if ill go adjustable or not. I really need to see if the car has one on it this weekend. Im 99% sure this thing used to have a heck of a lot more done to it so its still a learning game as i go as to whats done.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I had a few cables break with my last cobra a few years ago due to a bad install on a quadrant. In that time, my car did the same thing, it would lurch forward and continue to move. When I looked into it, i found that the cable was actually stretching because I had one or 2 individual strands break right where it mates up to the quadrant. You wouldn't really feel it if only a few strands break but it can cause your issues. Whatever you do, don't buy an adjustable clutch cable. Buy OEM ford or OEM maximum motorsports, as they are both made by the same people, but the others are crap. Good luck.

Richie
When the cable exists the firewall and goes into the quadrant, it must be straight. If the quadrant is not shimmed (so it doesn't move side to side) or shimmed incorrectly, the cable will chafe on the inner edges of the channel cut into the circumference of the quadrant every time you press down the pedal. I buy several different (thicknesses) 1/2" washers. I also buy a couple of rubber washers out of the plumbing department. Then shim both sides of my quadrant so the cable goes straight from the firewall into the center of the channel.

Some quadrants out of the box will be very sharp at the inner edges of the quadrant. I hit mine up on a buffing wheel to soften that edge.

The combination of those things will help your cable out greatly.

Mr. Whistle

Established Member
Most guys will tell you the OEM is the way to go. Maximum motorsports sells a Ford OEM cable that is modified to work specifically with a firewall adjuster. Get that cable and a firewall adjuster if you don't already have one. After my cable snapped I bought this cable from them and it's been 100% fine ever since.

MM Clutch Cable, Universal Mustang, Ford OEM, 1982-04 [MMCL-11] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

If you don't have a firewall adjuster and aluminum quadrant, consider those too!

When the cable exists the firewall and goes into the quadrant, it must be straight. If the quadrant is not shimmed (so it doesn't move side to side) or shimmed incorrectly, the cable will chafe on the inner edges of the channel cut into the circumference of the quadrant every time you press down the pedal. I buy several different (thicknesses) 1/2" washers. I also buy a couple of rubber washers out of the plumbing department. Then shim both sides of my quadrant so the cable goes straight from the firewall into the center of the channel.

Some quadrants out of the box will be very sharp at the inner edges of the quadrant. I hit mine up on a buffing wheel to soften that edge.

The combination of those things will help your cable out greatly.

Thanks, that's good advice and Def the route I'm going to take. I like the thought of it being adjustable so ill Def do like you said. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread