Clutch Cable re Adj

eddy z

Established Member
can someone refresh my memeory on how to re adjust are clutch cable, as mine has become loose again? thanks..

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
Originally posted by soniccobra 03
Either pull up on the clutch with your toe or get down and pull up with your hand...........enjoy.

Also car needs to be in 1st gear before pulling on the pedal.:beer:

JMD0346

Established Member
Reach under there and find the top of the quadtrant. Hold the top(Quadtrant)with your hand and mash the pedal down with the other. You only need to mash it in a little. Hold the quadtrant in place(where it stopped when you mashed the pedal) and snatch up on the pedal a little. If done right it should make a pop sound. Do it untill you get the free play out. In other words when the pedal is tight. This seems to me to work the best with the stock setup. Hope it helps.

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
these stock adjusters are crap, i find myself re-adjusting it every other day, ford crap, must be because it self-adjusts, guess the car was going too fast.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I only have around 3500 miles on my car and so far when I try to adjust the clutch with the trans in 1st gear, I get no clicks from the clutch pedal when I pull up on it. I guess it doesn't need adjustment yet.

eddy z

Established Member
thanks guys for the help and feedback.. Can someone advise where the Quadtrant is located at?? Only know items by sight.. really bad with names and part numbers.... thanks...

JMD0346

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Blue 2003
I only have around 3500 miles on my car and so far when I try to adjust the clutch with the trans in 1st gear, I get no clicks from the clutch pedal when I pull up on it. I guess it doesn't need adjustment yet.

If it has play in the pedal I would adjust it like I said. the way you are trying to do it is almost impossible. The book says do it that way, but its not the best way. An there is no need to have it in gear. The mechanisim doesnt work that way. Go out there and lay under the dash and study how it works. You'll see what Im talking about.

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
what i noticed today while adjusting, i started off doing it like the book sez, i had it in first, pulled up on the clutch pedal, heard the usual thump, then i started pushing it in(as i alway have) then i decided to bring to back up again, heard the thump, then pushed it in, not as far, pulled back out to hear thump, then pushed to the floor slowly, I believe this clears up all the looseness in the cable as the trans feels hella better, b4 it had way too much looseness and was thunking due to the slack in the line. Any comments?

Users who are viewing this thread