Clutch Cable

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
So my clutch cable broke last night and I need to replace it. IS this that hard to do? i found step by step directions online of how to do it and it doesn't look that bad. Is there any difference in quality of a FORD cable or an ACDELCO cable from autozone? I don't have time to wait to order one from MM or Summit Racing, as the car is my daily driver and I need to have it back on the road by Tuesday. Any advice or helpful info would be appreciated!

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I replaced mine with a OEM Ford cable about a year ago and it wasn't hard at all. I jacked up the front end and crawled underneath and did it in about 10 minutes. It was real simple to straight forward to get done.

97cobra1

Established Member
I replaced mine in about 30 minutes. It turned out the factory ford cable i bought was too short becasue of the quadrant the guy before me put on the car.

Eventually i went with a full MM setup. They take the Ford OEM cable modify it to work better with their quadrant and firewall adjuster. If you haven't done the adjuster/quad i'd spring for the MM package. It was sent to my door for 150 shipped for quadrant cable adjuster and a cable heatsheild. A little cheaper if you don't get the heat sheild.

zPipes

Established Member
I just did mine the day after Thanksgiving, it busted on me as i was heading out to my aunts house for dinner on that thursday lol. Anyhow took alot longer than I thought it would, or than it should. Pretty basic to do, I think my clutch is what made it more difficult than some of the other guys. The hardest part was prying the dam thing to set the adjustible cable lol.

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
So i just replaced my cable, But it seems like my pedal is a little higher than it was (it may just be in my head, since i was driving my wife's car for a few days) Is this possible? if so is there an adjustment for it?

01Dave

Established Member
So i just replaced my cable, But it seems like my pedal is a little higher than it was (it may just be in my head, since i was driving my wife's car for a few days) Is this possible? if so is there an adjustment for it?

Making the assumption that your setup is stock, the quadrant is self-adjusting. To adjust it, just reach down under the dash and the pull clutch pedal upward. It may or may not click. That's it, all there is to it. Give it a try and see if it improves your clutch pedal action.

If you want to furnter adjust is, I recommend the Fiore or Maximum Motorsports quadrant and firewall adjuster kit.

zPipes

Established Member
^

I need a firewall adjuster but im looking for a good one, one that has more than 1 or 2 open holes for screws. I would prefer 3-4 closed holes for secure mounting.

01Dave

Established Member
I have the Firoe setup myself. The instructions that came with it from Lethal Performance were very good. The adjuster has four closed holes for mounting screws into the firewall. Two of the holes from the stock firewall gromet thing will match right up and you will have to drill one or two more.

The only issue mounting the adjuster you will run into with the 99-01 Cobra is the lack of clearance between the head and the spot where the cable runs through the firewall. The Fiore instructions indicate that you only need two screws to securely mount it, but that it is <i>possible</i> to use all four. I was able to do three, with the use of a right-angle worm drive drill for the other hole. The one closest to the head was more trouble that I thought it would be worth.

Overall, I'd say that I totally love the quadrant/adjuster. It makes a HUGE diference in the pedal feel and makes shifting fast so much easier!

-Dave

zPipes

Established Member
Thanks for that post. Sounds like I might need to look into that. I will say I do like the stiff feel to the clutch, when you say it made a huge difference you mean it made it easier to depress the pedal? I also installed the ford racing adjustible cable/quadrant. I hope I have better luck with the adjustible than what I've read about some of them however.

01Dave

Established Member
Thanks for that post. Sounds like I might need to look into that. I will say I do like the stiff feel to the clutch, when you say it made a huge difference you mean it made it easier to depress the pedal? I also installed the ford racing adjustible cable/quadrant. I hope I have better luck with the adjustible than what I've read about some of them however.

Ha, I need to check this board more often! It sure is busy this time of year. Anyway, when I say it's easier to shift, I mean that I was able to dial in the adjustemnt so I know right where the clutch engages and disengages as the pedal travles. That makes it far easier for me to time my movements so my foot and shifter arm are moving at more or less the same time. I have also heard that the radius of the quadrant may be different than stock, but I am not sure on that.

Users who are viewing this thread