Clutch Cable

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
Just wanted to ask some more experienced folks how long clutch cables usually last. I have 34,6xx miles and ocasionally when I hit the clutch pedal it makes some kinda squeak sound. I can't tell if it's the cable or the pedal. I want to say it's the pedal but just wanna get some opinions.

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
If it the cable it will POP when its starts to go from the cable breaking. My stock cable lasted 74,000 miles.

Ok so I have a few miles left on her lol. Thanks. Just wanted to make sure cause I thought I heard somewhere that you can hear it stretching prior to it breaking.

Thanks again :beer:

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
Edit* Just checked and I think the squeak is more from the quadrant and pieces

Last edited:

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
If its getting ready to snap, it'll sound like you are stepping into gravel for a little while... then it'll just pop at an inconvenient time and you'll need a tow truck. If its squealing, shoot some WD-40 on the cable from under the dash and it should quiet down. Some people say to coat the cable in grease and it'll help but it should just be the quadrant parts. If its making the gravel noise, change it out w/ the OE ford cable, they cost about $90. Mine broke at 83K miles.

Last edited:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Mine squeaks when I press the clutch in. It's the throw out bearing retainer losing the last little bit of grease. Sucks. Pull the dust cover off the bottom drivers side of the trans and have a friend press the clutch in and make it squeak.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
If its getting ready to snap, it'll sound like you are stepping into gravel for a little while... then it'll just pop at an inconvenient time and you'll need a tow truck. If its squealing, shoot some WD-40 on the cable from under the dash and it should quiet down. Some people say to coat the cable in grease and it'll help but it should just be the quadrant parts. If its making the gravel noise, change it out w/ the OE ford cable, they cost about $90. Mine broke at 83K miles.

Mine went out less then a mile from a buddys when i pushed the clutch in to slow down because of a car so i just pulled it back into 4th and roll on over to his place. Buddy had another so i was good to go.

Lsu4life2003

Established Member
Just wanted to ask some more experienced folks how long clutch cables usually last. I have 34,6xx miles and ocasionally when I hit the clutch pedal it makes some kinda squeak sound. I can't tell if it's the cable or the pedal. I want to say it's the pedal but just wanna get some opinions.

Do you still have the stock quadrant on there? The mach 1 I bought had an aftermarket quadrant that my mechanic could not recognize. It also had an aftermarket cable. My mechanic recommended putting a stock cable back in there because most aftermarket ones suck. So we did, but after 6k miles, it snapped. Put another stock cable on there and that one started to go too after only 1k miles. I would hear popping and other weird noises, checked up under there and the cable was starting to fray where it connects to the quadrant. Finally we decided to put a steeda quadrant in there and now everything's been fine so far... So if you hear noises and stuff check up under there with a flashlight and see if the cable isn't starting to fray or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread