Clutch Cables

venoNOS

BIG DOG DADDY
Established Member
Ok fellas, I have the UPR firewall adjuster on my car. The problem is the cable. I have been through 3 cables in the past year and a half. Now remember the car is not a dd. I bought 2 summit heavy duty cables and snapped them and also snapped a factory cable. Im now on my 2nd factory cable and its beginning to kind of pop just a little when you mash in on the pedal. And from experience its getting ready to break. I had a buddy from Ford look at it and he said it has to be properly secured to the old fastners to keep it away from the headers so it wont cook it. I done that but as you can see its still snapping. Is there any other solution to this problem or is everyone having the same problem with long tubes? I have a spec stg 2 clutch on and Im thinking maybe aftermarket clutches will do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
venoNOS said:
Ok fellas, I have the UPR firewall adjuster on my car. The problem is the cable. I have been through 3 cables in the past year and a half. Now remember the car is not a dd. I bought 2 summit heavy duty cables and snapped them and also snapped a factory cable. Im now on my 2nd factory cable and its beginning to kind of pop just a little when you mash in on the pedal. And from experience its getting ready to break. I had a buddy from Ford look at it and he said it has to be properly secured to the old fastners to keep it away from the headers so it wont cook it. I done that but as you can see its still snapping. Is there any other solution to this problem or is everyone having the same problem with long tubes? I have a spec stg 2 clutch on and Im thinking maybe aftermarket clutches will do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
No problems w/ my Steeda so far ( Knock on wood ) .....DD w/ a SPEC stg 2+

97 slowbra

Banned
I've put a cable on mine about 6mnts ago and its already starting to pop again and again....Im was wondering this to but never got about posting it..I have stock manifolds

venoNOS

BIG DOG DADDY
Established Member
inside the firewall adjuster for somereason on mine. The rubber coating is wrinkled up and the cables are freighed like its been tampered with. I dont know if its a defect in these cables or not. Ive checked the billet quadrant to make sure it doesnt have any burrs or to see if theres any rubbing and its clean. It seems as if these aftermarket set ups are in to much of strain. I hate the factory set up with the plastic. It broke on me as well and thats why I went to the aftermarkets. Im going to do some more researching on these set ups and check around. Theres got to be a way of curing this problem. Besides I dont drive the car everyday and even when I do I dont WOT on it and slam the gears everytime its rolling down the road. Its babied all the time. Maybe Im spoiling it to much,lol.

98(oBra\/ert

Established Member
Ford racing cable? I have had success with them
Sounds like you have another problem causing this one though...

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
NVENEM8U said:
No problems w/ my Steeda so far ( Knock on wood ) .....DD w/ a SPEC stg 2+

Honestly with as much smack as it gets talked, the Steeda cable on my car is still going strong with a Spec 1. Replaced when I first got the car and although I tend to adjust it every couple months (when I feel its too tight or too loose) it works great.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Make sure the quadrant you installed is aligned properly and not in an angle causing the rubbing and premature failure on the cable. I bought a Steeda double hook quadrant, but upon installing it per the instructions I noticed it was not aligned properly putting the cable in a slight angle to the quadrant. So I fabricated some Plastic spacers/washers and now it sits very flush and even. :)

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
RoadZOmbie said:
Make sure the quadrant you installed is aligned properly and not in an angle causing the rubbing and premature failure on the cable. I bought a Steeda double hook quadrant, but upon installing it per the instructions I noticed it was not aligned properly putting the cable in a slight angle to the quadrant. So I fabricated some Plastic spacers/washers and now it sits very flush and even. :)
I have to agree with that statement. On my UPR triple hook quadrant, I had to use washers to align and take away the slack on the quadrant. If that is your problem, oem factory cable is the way to go.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
3 cables sounds like another problem. Find out whats breaking them then use the stock cable.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
RoadZOmbie said:

EXACTLY. My quadrant came with a bunch of spacers to make sure the cable seats cprrectly in the quad without any binding or whatnot.

If that's not the problem, I'd say you don't have it adjusted correctly.
Is there tension on the cable when your foot IS NOT on the clutch pedal?

Users who are viewing this thread