Clutch chadder anyone?

SALEEN039

Established Member
I have 312 miles on my new 10th aniv. It does this and it is pretty normal from what the dealer told me. No sound , just a wierd feel in the clutch upon release.

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
I wouldn't say clutch chatter is normal. When I bought mine, I test drove two. The first had about 25 miles on it and had a slight clutch chatter. The second had 3 miles on it, did not chatter and I took it home. It has never had a clutch chatter problem and now has about 7k miles.

mondo540

Established Member
I test drove 4 new ones with anywhere from 8 to 180 miles on them and they all made this sound....not to sound silly, but it doesn't vibrate thru the clutch as much as it makes a "clatter" sound when taking off from 1st...almost like a diesel idling...Pls educate me if what I am hearing is TOB...I don't hear any rattling when the clutch is out at a light or anything...just when I take off from 1st....I wasn't too concerned about it then since all the new ones I drove made this same sound.

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
I'm not familiar with the noise you describe. The condition I experienced, and have with other cars, is where the whole vehicle shakes as the clutch is being engaged in low gear or reverse. It is common, but not normal. Sorry.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
When you just hear a noise starting up in 1st, and don't feel a chatter, it is a normal noise in the trans.

If you feel clutch chatter, in my opinion it is common, but is not normal. I think it's real easy to glaze the clutch in the first few miles of driving. I think it even can be done loading or unloading the car in transport. I think that causes chatter, and often will persist for a long time. A lot of cars have the chatter, but mine never did, and I would be unhappy if it did. This is something you feel, not hear.

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Man I just want someone to open mine up and look at it, I know somethings wrong with my clutch, but when I talk to techs or search this forum people say its normal, I just put in the Firewall adjuster and Quadrent , and sometimes when I'm comming to a stop and I put it in Nuetral and let of the clutch, it not only chatters it chatters so hard the peddle is actually bouncing up and down :shrug: And on a recent Dyno my Tq curve was like a big Hill, went up and came straight down, and my tq was way lower, ike maybe the clutch is slipping.

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
but when I talk to techs or search this forum people say its normal,

ADR,
They're telling you wrong.
With your rwhp & usage, you may be needing to aftermarket upgrade your clutch in the near future. If so, break-it in properly, & you'll have a high probability of having a wonderful no-clatter feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread