clutch crapped out at worst possible time

levs302

Established Member
well, i was hangin out with a friend of mine. then a couple of her friends showed up, they liked my car and wanted a ride. shwing :coolman: . any time i can fill up my stang with girls, i'm all for it. we drove around until i found a nice open patch of road, then i slowed to a stop so i could lay down some rubber for them :burnout: . i revered her up, dumbed teh clutch, and the car just sat there :cryying: . 4500rpm, clutch engaged, and the back wheels not moving...weird thing is that it still seems to hold fine once fully engaged. but now it engages right as the pedal is at the very top...

....anyway, i'm wondering how difficult is it to replace the the clutch? can it be done by a backyard mechanic such as myself? are there any specialty tools that i will need to do it? my only experience is installing the mods to my car, and pulling the eng/trans from my last car. (only removed the eng/trans, didnt put them back in).

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
It is a pretty straightforward deal so long as you have a decent set of tools and some way to safely put the car in the air. I got to a point where I could change the clutch in my 84 GT in about an hour and a half.

levs302

Established Member
i have a basic set of tools, no air tools. and plenty of jackstands. i've had the exhaust on and off a few times and the driveshaft is fairly new, so no rusty bolts to worry about there. how much of a pain is it going to be to drop the tranny with the car only on jackstands? are there any tricks i need to know for removing or installing the clutch so i dont damage anything? once its installed, are there any adjustments, fine tuning, i need to do?

spike_africa

Established Member
Its not tuff, but the tranny is kinda heavy for one person unless your a big guy like me. I would grab a freind and tackel the job. I would drain the tranny as its gonna dump fluide once the driveshaft is out plus it makes it easier drop with the less weight.

ANd it sounds like you smoked the clutch. High rev dump it and it sits still means it just spun on the flywheel more then likly creating awsome hot spots. Your gonna need to take the flywheel off and get it cut so its smoothed again.

Users who are viewing this thread