Clutch experts IN HERE!

silvrsrt

Established Member
so before I take my car to the shop and drop 700-800 bucks I thought I would ask the experts :beer:

I have a 2004 cobra with pulley, exhaust, intake. makes 460hp blah blah. Anyways I have a Mcleod twin disk clutch maybe 10k miles on it. I just installed a quadrant & firewall adjuster. I had it adjusted so that the clutch had Minimum play and I could push the clutch half way in and it would shift like butter.

I went to the track with 16" ET streets and did a burnout and launched at 4k. the clutch went up in smoke :shrug: I figured I had the adjuster to far out. I turned in the adjuster A LOT, now there was more free play and with the clutch 3/4's of the way down I could shift like butter. made another pass and it didn’t slip near as bad but still smelt clutch after the run....

Fast forward a couple weeks and I was driving to work in 5th gear at about 40mph and sped up through a yellow light and watch the tach jump and mph crawl :fm:

so now I have the adjuster Almost all the way in and can barley shift it :bash: but haven't had a problem with the clutch YET

WTF is going on?!?!? Is my clutch toast?? HOW DO YOU TELL?? Is there a VERY VERY fine line in being able to shift or having a slipping clutch???

Sorry for the HUGE post but this is very hard to explain….

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
so before I take my car to the shop and drop 700-800 bucks I thought I would ask the experts :beer:

I have a 2004 cobra with pulley, exhaust, intake. makes 460hp blah blah. Anyways I have a Mcleod twin disk clutch maybe 10k miles on it. I just installed a quadrant & firewall adjuster. I had it adjusted so that the clutch had Minimum play and I could push the clutch half way in and it would shift like butter.

I went to the track with 16" ET streets and did a burnout and launched at 4k. the clutch went up in smoke :shrug: I figured I had the adjuster to far out. I turned in the adjuster A LOT, now there was more free play and with the clutch 3/4's of the way down I could shift like butter. made another pass and it didn’t slip near as bad but still smelt clutch after the run....

Fast forward a couple weeks and I was driving to work in 5th gear at about 40mph and sped up through a yellow light and watch the tach jump and mph crawl :fm:

so now I have the adjuster Almost all the way in and can barley shift it :bash: but haven't had a problem with the clutch YET

WTF is going on?!?!? Is my clutch toast?? HOW DO YOU TELL?? Is there a VERY VERY fine line in being able to shift or having a slipping clutch???

Sorry for the HUGE post but this is very hard to explain….
I had the same problem last night with my Twin Disc.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
If you could shift smoothly with the clutch only pushed halfway down then you had waaaay too much preload on your pressure plate. As a result you have probably never been getting full engagement which has, in turn, been slowly killing your clutch. The 4K launch merely finished it off. You need to replace your clutch again and properly adjust it. It should start to grab about an inch to an inch and a half off the floor.

03mach 1

Established Member
If you could shift smoothly with the clutch only pushed halfway down then you had waaaay too much preload on your pressure plate. As a result you have probably never been getting full engagement which has, in turn, been slowly killing your clutch. The 4K launch merely finished it off. You need to replace your clutch again and properly adjust it. It should start to grab about an inch to an inch and a half off the floor.

oo shit ya way way to much its good to get someone to adjust it that knows what they are doing but if you do it again better to start all the way in and go slowly from there and with the adjuster you also only move it like one click and it makes i big difference but like said b 4 i think you ****ed up your presser plate

Users who are viewing this thread