Clutch fork hitting transmission housing

desertt5

Established Member
I am not sure what is going on. This 99 Cobra I bought from a kid has already had its share of less than stellar work done to it. Passenger side intake cam was put back together off by one tooth. That is fixed and the car has good power now.

The clutch fork hits the trans housing before you get that feeling of the clutch being fully disengaged in the pedal. The clutch fork sits at half way or a little less than half when it is just in contact with the pressure plate. I am sure this does not give it enough throw for the clutch. This is with no cable attached. I think it should be sitting so it has at least 3/4 of the area for travel. .

It had a new clutch kit put in recently along with a new pivot ball, clutch quadrant, firewall adjuster, adjustable cable, and possibly a new clutch fork. The clutch and pressure plate do not have a single marking on them, no name, part number brand, nothing.

Possible the clutch kit is not the right one and the pressure plate will never work right ??

I am at a loss, except for getting a new clutch kit and seeing what happens. :mj:

desertt5

Established Member
Yes, even put on a new Ford TOB I had sitting on the bench. It truly seems like you would have to try and put the TOB on wrong. I did my other 99's clutch last year and all went smooth.

desertt5

Established Member
Double checked the pivot ball. It is new and measures 2 3/4 inches total like LMR has listed and looks the same. I am assuming that is correct.

desertt5

Established Member
Clutch fork is part# XR33-7515-AA. Which best I can tell is correct for a T45.

How far out on the trans input shaft should the TOB travel? With the transmission on the ground, the TOB will travel all the way to the end of the smooth part. The clutch fork hits the trans housing just as it reaches the input shaft splines. This is correct I believe ??

Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
Take a pic of the clutch, maybe we can give you an idea of what it is. Color is usually a good indicator of what brand as well.

desertt5

Established Member
Here they are:

clutch1.jpg

clutch2.jpg

clutch3.jpg

Looks like the there is a hot spot on the face already. There is a "480" stamped on one of the fingers.

clutch4.jpg

Some of the scratches are from the pressure plate laying on the ground.

Last edited:

green99_svt

Established Member
Was the flywheel resurfaced? You may need a shim behind the flywheel to offset the cut if it was

desertt5

Established Member
Flywheel was resurfaced, but I think I need a lot more travel than that.

The color of the center clutch plate is the same, but that about it.

Here is a side view of mine. I know there is no pressure on it right now, but shouldn't the fingers be sitting higher right now. All the pics I have found online look different and it has been a while since I played with one of these.

clutch5.jpg

Thanks for all the replies so far

Nadirt4v

I have a similar problem, but i changed the thrust bearing and it continues, its like a hitting , the noise starts after hours of driving,
Pleaseee any advice
Look at the video

Users who are viewing this thread