Clutch Free-Play?

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
How much free-play is our car's clutch supposed to have? None? or a couple inches? I have a Spec stage 3 clutch and just had to put a new throwout bearing in and I dont want to have to put another one in.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
1/8 inch - just a little bit

and an aftermarket quadrant and adjuster is highly recommended

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Research free-play mod. It's just a spring, but it eliminates the added freeplay from an aftermarket clutch.

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
I have a Steeda Quadrant, Firewall Adjuster, and cable. Its a breeze to adjust the free play I just don't wanna set too much or too little.

SpectorV

Established Member
you should have a half inch of travel before the clutch starts slipping~ that means a tight petal feel and a high petal~ but... thats how mine works best.

My car stock had a low floppy petal... very hard to shift the darn thing as it wasnt getting full engagment.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
you should have a half inch of travel before the clutch starts slipping~ that means a tight petal feel and a high petal~ but... thats how mine works best.

My car stock had a low floppy petal... very hard to shift the darn thing as it wasnt getting full engagment.

Thats not the freeplay they are talking about. They are talking the distance the TOB is from the teeth of the pressure plate. If yours is setup like you mention I am willing to put money that you will have a premature TOB failure. Well from what I read anyways.

I personally like your method and its the only way the car feels right to me, but after research I found out its the wrong way.

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
Thats not the freeplay they are talking about. They are talking the distance the TOB is from the teeth of the pressure plate. If yours is setup like you mention I am willing to put money that you will have a premature TOB failure. Well from what I read anyways.

I personally like your method and its the only way the car feels right to me, but after research I found out its the wrong way.

Care to inform me of the "right" way?

As it sits I believe there might be a few millimeters between the TOB and teeth of the pressure plate. I adjusted my firewall adjuster all the way out except for 1 or 2 clicks. (which is about 1/4 to 1/2 turn)

Users who are viewing this thread