Clutch Friction Point

Quick03SVT

Established Member
I almost have to put my foot through the floor to get my car into gear. So I am wondering if this could be considered a warranty issue. The car only has 3k miles on it.

Quick03SVT

Established Member
I am completely aware of the search functionality of this website...

However, I am wondering if I can get it covered and adjusted under warranty.

Did not find that under search.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You can also think about resetting your factory clutch. Refer to your owner's manual or search for it. I did it on mine and it worked out pretty well. Still not nearly as good as a quality adjustable quad though...

Quick03SVT

Established Member
You know what d!ck head...I understood your spelling the first time. However, you obviously cannot understand my initial question. Let me spell it out for you....

I should not have to go buy an aftermarket firewall adjuster to get something to work correctly. The proper setting would be about mid way and not on the floor board. SO smart guy...if it is not working correctly then I was wondering if possibly they could correct it under warranty andif anyone has had it corrected under warranty. Understand now :loser:

So bring it on chat board tough guy.... :uh oh:

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Nice guys.

To adjust the clutch pull up on the clutch pedal as far as it will go. This should put it back into the right position. I see no need for aftermarket parts, mine works just fine.

EatMyDust75

Established Member
aside from all that jazz talk... i sent mine in today to get that fixed.. i have to sometimes double clutch and i miss 1-2 gears at launch.. i will keep you posted on the results..

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
I've thought about this thread for a few mins now, and how come to a decision. This forum is getting filled with a bunch of pissy, whiny, pansy-assed ****. It wasn't this way early on.

I'm done posting here. Cya guys. It's been fun.

Be gone!

Quick03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra03
Nice guys.

To adjust the clutch pull up on the clutch pedal as far as it will go. This should put it back into the right position. I see no need for aftermarket parts, mine works just fine.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did try this and nothing happened. It felt like I was about to break or bend the pedal so I stopped lifting on it. I will give it another try though.

Originally posted by EatMyDust75
aside from all that jazz talk... i sent mine in today to get that fixed.. i have to sometimes double clutch and i miss 1-2 gears at launch.. i will keep you posted on the results..

This is what I was looking for. Let me know if they get it taken care of please. Thanks!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Ford can't fix it because that is the way it is designed to work. It isn't broke. It is designed to use the entire pedal travel to release the clutch.
Very poor design, but YOU can fix it or change it to suit your taste as has been mentioned previously. Otherwise you can just tolerate it.

Dana

predator

Established Member
Aside from everything that has been said already.....this probably should be a warranty issue. I had the same problem....did the self adjust after problems with shifting (heated up the clutch). It only worked once. The stock quadrant and adjuster are plastic and don't handle abuse very well. I have heard of some actually breaking the quadrant and causing serious damage to their clutch assembly. I elected to do the UPR triple hook quadrant and firewall adjuster. Much nicer.....no more problems. I have my clutch pedal engaging near the top where I like it. :beer:

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
I've thought about this thread for a few mins now, and how come to a decision. This forum is getting filled with a bunch of pissy, whiny, pansy-assed ****. It wasn't this way early on.

I'm done posting here. Cya guys. It's been fun.

It took you 2424 posts to decide that? Heh.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by predator
Aside from everything that has been said already.....this probably should be a warranty issue. I had the same problem....did the self adjust after problems with shifting (heated up the clutch). It only worked once. The stock quadrant and adjuster are plastic and don't handle abuse very well. I have heard of some actually breaking the quadrant and causing serious damage to their clutch assembly. I elected to do the UPR triple hook quadrant and firewall adjuster. Much nicer.....no more problems. I have my clutch pedal engaging near the top where I like it. :beer:

Well stated, and exactly my experience.
My adjustments would last 1-2 runs.

JW

Redwing

Established Member
I don't think I want to get into this controversy. However, getting back to the original question:
I had the EXACT same problem. Very difficult shifting, hard to get into gear, clutch takeup about a 16th of an inch from the floor. I went to the dealer, twice. The first two times they adjusted it, said it was fine. It was a little better, but soon got worse. Finally the service manager drove it. Then he drove another Cobra on the lot. His response: "Mr. Steinberg, I'm going to put in a complete new clutch and pressure plate for you." He did, and the car is absolutely fine. Shifting is a true pleasure now. Wonderful. Now, if only I could quiet down the Borlas a bit (I'm getting old)
Forget the quadrants, demand a clutch.
Steve

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Quick03SVT
Thank you for the suggestion. I did try this and nothing happened. It felt like I was about to break or bend the pedal so I stopped lifting on it. I will give it another try though.

Mine's the same way; won't adjust no matter what I do.

Quick03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Redwing
Forget the quadrants, demand a clutch.
Steve

Now that I know it can be taken in for warranty I will give them a shot at fixing it. If it does not work, I will be asking for a new clutch.

I just don't see having to buy something after the fact to fix a defect being the right answer. Believe me I understand that the UPR adjuster is a far better part but I can only see Ford denying me warranty work because of it. I know...call me a pessimist!

Thanks for all of your responses.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Good idea. and good luck. I tried to get the clutch replaced when it was stock due to some TOB squeal it made from time to time and due to the difficulty of keeping it in adjustment.
Long story short, lotsa talk, but it didn't happen.
The clutch has now taken me down the strip at least 150 times, delivers 1.6 and 1.7 60 ft times on ET streets -- and is still alive 10,000 miles after I tried to get it replaced. I did do the UPR stuff after wasting more time (which is money for me) yakking with the dealership than the UPR stuff would cost.
JW

Users who are viewing this thread