clutch fried?

89lxfoxbody

20 second club
Established Member
Well long story short...hard 3rd gear, 4th gear and attempted 5th gear pull while spraying. Something went wrong with my clutch or something. I missed 5th and detonated all to shit. Blew the stock airbox off and all that good stuff. I think something happened to my clutch causing me to miss 5th gear. Well the clutch feels like it did when the stock quadrant broke. It has no pressure behind it. Well I checked everything out such as the clutch quadrant, cable, and clutch fork and everything was attached properly. I tightened the cable down by the fork on the transmission and it seemed to act alright for a minute. Drove about 2 miles and it started feeling weird again. So I just punched it to the floor and it had a bad vibration and the clutch seemed to slip and then I smelt clutch. Any ideas?

bp03svt

Established Member
If you blew the airbox off it sounds like you had a nitrous backfire on top of a fried clutch. I shattered a clutch about 5 or 6 years ago in the fox that I had at the time. I went through the gears (powershifting) and when I hit third, my car just reved like I missed third. I tried to move the shifter back and forth (like it was in neutral, because I thought I missed the gear), but it was in third. It wouldn't come out of gear, but was vibrating like hell.

So after pulling over and getting it out of third, I finally got it into first and drove to a friends house that wasn't far away. I thought I had f@#ked my transmission up, but we took it out and the clutch to look at both. It turns out that I had shattered my clutch, it was in chunks with alot of clutch dust in the bottom of the bellhousing.

It sounds to me like your clutch is toast, but you should also check to see if anything else was messed up from the nitrous backfire.

89lxfoxbody

20 second club
Established Member
well it was a nitrous backfire, a pretty nice sized flame shot out of my hood. I can only imagine my clutch is toast because I believe I've checked about everything else. I'm just wondering how bad it looks right now lol. I also got the bad vibration in the car. Knock on wood that the motor is ok, but everything seems ok so far.

snake bite 03

bp03svt said:
If you blew the airbox off it sounds like you had a nitrous backfire on top of a fried clutch. I shattered a clutch about 5 or 6 years ago in the fox that I had at the time. I went through the gears (powershifting) and when I hit third, my car just reved like I missed third. I tried to move the shifter back and forth (like it was in neutral, because I thought I missed the gear), but it was in third. It wouldn't come out of gear, but was vibrating like hell.

So after pulling over and getting it out of third, I finally got it into first and drove to a friends house that wasn't far away. I thought I had f@#ked my transmission up, but we took it out and the clutch to look at both. It turns out that I had shattered my clutch, it was in chunks with alot of clutch dust in the bottom of the bellhousing.

It sounds to me like your clutch is toast, but you should also check to see if anything else was messed up from the nitrous backfire.

how did u drive your car to your buddys house on a shattered clutch that was in pieces...?

bp03svt

Established Member
Very carefully LOL. I could only go about 5 mph. I had just left from his house and went through the gears, as soon as I hit third I wasn't too far away from his house. I guess most of the damage happened on the way back to his house. It was jerking real bad, I thought the trans was f@#ked up.

The whole disc wasn't in pieces, so I still had some contact with the flywheel. There was big chunks taken out of it and alot of clutch dust.

Users who are viewing this thread