Clutch gone or what? Car won't go forward randomly!

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Pretty confused, last night I went out on a date and on the way back, we had to stop at the light right before the turn to my home, I tried to start going but the engine just revved and revved, no clutch engagement or anything. Got out and noticed that when I had put the parking brake on I had also left it in 1st gear, and it was still, running with me outside the car and my foot not on the clutch.

Never had the clutch slip, it had no signs really at all, I did just hit 31k. When I tried to engage first gear it sounded as if something at the front was spinning around but not able to engage.

Do you all think this is the clutch? I've had it towed to Ford, they called me but I called back four times and couldn't speak with the guy handling my Shelby.

Very confused as no signs of a damaged clutch were apparent, pulled fine, never slipped, clutch was strong.

Thanks in advance guys, this is a '12 GT-500, stock aside from Roush axle-back. If it is the clutch I'm more than likely going to have it towed to a proper shop and have a Mcleod put in, but that will bring some new questions and I'll need any help I can get.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
It's the clutch... I had one go out on me almost in the same way.

No signs of slippage or anything, drove it to a restaurant and came out and the car wouldn't move forward or go into gear.

When they pulled it the clutch had actually cracked almost in two. After reading a bit I found that some 2013 clutches had issues in the beginning with this kind of thing which is what I believe happened.

You have a 2012, but I'm wondering if it uses a similar clutch.

Anyway... definitely the clutch.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Dang, well that's gonna cost a pretty penny. Alright, I guess I'll have to order the Mcleod. For a 2012, don't I need an older throw-out bearing as well? Or anything else?

Imatk

Established Member
Dang, well that's gonna cost a pretty penny. Alright, I guess I'll have to order the Mcleod. For a 2012, don't I need an older throw-out bearing as well? Or anything else?

I can't comment on the Mcleod for sure, but I do believe it uses the older (bigger) throwout/slave.

I would talk to whoever you purchase from, I think VMP carries these.

Users who are viewing this thread