Clutch noise when engaging the clutch. Throwout bearing???

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Hey guys, awhile ago my car started making this noise when I'm accelerating the car from a stop. Whenever I'm at a redlight and it turns green, I put it in first and for a second I hear this noise that lasts for maybe a second while the car begins to accelerate. I wasn't able to find a video with a similar sound on YouTube and can't really describe the sound through my keyboard but it kinda sounds like a "errr" sound you'd hear from a tire not gripping. I'm guessing it's a throwout bearing since it sounds like it's coming right beneath the shifter. Also, it's a Spec stage-3 with about 50,000 miles or so on a stock T-45.

I'm also hearing a slight chatter when the car is idling and my foot's off the clutch. Very faint but there and I also noticed that there's also a grinding noise when I engage the clutch after awhile in reverse. It will also begin to lose power but only in reverse. If it is the throwout bearing, is this an easy fix? Also, anyone know anything about installing a clutch quadrant kit?

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
Chattering at idle might be a vibrating clutch fork. I just did the clutch on my '01 and didn't replace the pivot ball and now my fork vibrates which I can hear while sitting in the driver's seat. I installed an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster and adjusted the cable for a little extra slack and the vibrating got less but didn't go away completely. I'm thinking maybe my new flywheel is out of balance or I didn't install something correctly and that's adding to the vibration as well.

Users who are viewing this thread